1973 85 HP Johnson impeller and bog issue. need help.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to get some info for a friend. My specialty is actually inboards. So. Where is the impeller located and how do I change it?<br />The motor starts fine and idles fine but bogs down at higher rpms. It sounds like the carbs and I will be using a misting bottle (fuel) to see if that improves the running. Good compression in all cylinders. Any Ideas would be appreciated. :cool: :D <br />Thanks,

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1973 85 HP Johnson impeller and bog issue. need help.

The water pump sits on the very top of the gearcase. You will want a manual to help with disconnecting the shift linkage to drop the gearcase, and show location of all mouting bolts.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that while you run the motor with carbs that are / may be clogged, the cylinders that arent getting fuel arent getting oil either.<br /><br />The 1973 V4's are a one-of-a-kind motor. We'll be glad to look up piston part numbers if you like.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

So where is a good place to get the impeller and carb kit(s) for this motor?

I purchased a kit for my 74 85hp johnson thru www.acmeBoating.com. found them on ebay cost 35-40 $$ shipped. I had a similar problem I think with my boat/motor. Had been stored several years, repaired the transom. Had it running using water ears, seemed fine. Took it to the lake - ran a tank and a hlf of gas thru it - ran fine. stopped for a little while , started it up idled fine, but had no power. I slowly made it back to the launch and I'm trying to figure it out now. My impeller actually looked ok. Gonna do a compression test next, if thats ok then ???????????<br /><br />Steve

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

check your vavlves and timing, also.<br />Thanks for the assist.