1973 50HP 2-stroke - Bit of fuel oozing from carburetor port/vent (starboard side)

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
I recently rebuilt the carbs, and now my motor runs tip top. But after going for a run, and then looking under the cover to make sure everything looks OK (I was mostly worried about the new fuel lines staying attached) I noticed that a bit of fuel was oozing from the starboard port of the lower carburetor.

I forget where this port/vent (not even sure of correct term) connected to, but I do recall they went into the bowl. There were two holes in the top of the bowl, one was plugged (I think this one) and one was not.

I did not observe the port/vent while the motor was running, so I'm not sure if it's from idling or running.

Both carbs were rebuilt at the same time. and I feel reasonably confident I did both identically.

Any idea on what may be causing this?

You can see the red-ish premix fuel at the port on the lower carb.
IMG_1900.jpg
The port in question is on the lower carb, just below the upper carb's bowl.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1973 50HP 2-stroke - Bit of fuel oozing from carburetor port/vent (starboard side

It looks like it is leaking out around the core plug, did you replace the core plugs when you overhauled the carbs?

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 50HP 2-stroke - Bit of fuel oozing from carburetor port/vent (starboard side

No, I did touch the core plugs. I'm 99% it's the vent. I will be investigating further this weekend (tomorrow).

I'll get better pictures too.