1973 25 HP Evinrude jumping out of gear after rebuild

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am starting a new thread. I originally posted this to my initial thread about this lower when I first opened it up. It didn't seem like it got any attention, probably because it looked like an old thread.

Here it is....

Ok I'm here again. I out the engine back together. It ran fine for like 4 outings I think then it started jumping in and out of gear. I only went on the first one for a mile or two ride and it shifted and acted fine. It's my brother in laws boat. I told him to just shift at once don't slip it in gear. He told me that's what he did. So here we are again. When I got it to my house it had actually sheared the shear pin. I put a new one in hoping that was just the issue. Well idle out of no wake zone. Get it on a plane, and 30 seconds later it jumps a few times like it hit a log. I stop turn toward the dock and put it into gear and take of it jumps out and into neutral. So I just idle no wake back to the trailer.

The shift lever fully engaged Foward and reverse. Was in the Foward part of the shift cradle.

I just opened it, the gear and clutch dog look now like the originals I pulled out. What am I looking for? What went wrong? I put a brand new F and R gear. It was a used clutch dog that I thought and seller did as well cause they didn't open the box...but used but looked good to me clutch dog. What am I looking for. I am hesitant to do anything else because I have no idea why it lasted so little time this time? Did something go wrong to mess the original up and I didn't catch it on the rebuild? Also there was no water in the lower when I drained it when I took it apart this time. Maybe a few drops which I would just chalk up to condensation.

Steer me in some direction please.

Second post I made..

Ok, not sure if this makes a difference. I didn't catch it at first because I didn't look at the cradle. But I noticed that the cradle part # in the lower unit was 325014 when I look at the parts diagram online it lists #302500. They look the same to me. Unless it's a superceded number I don't know what the difference would be. The one I used was what was in the LU and I didn't put it there I just reused the one when I tore into it. It fit snug and looked right. It just holds the cradle and throws the clutch dog Foward or reverse.

Just a detail I saw while really trying to analyze this. But one of you parts and OMC gurus will have to tell me better as to if this is/was a cause?

Next post...
I am sure this is the or part of the problem. Looking at pictures the correct part is taller than the other one...which will change the length of the shift shaft which would cause an issue with how much the pressure is placed on the clutch dog.

Looking up the part number that was in it it said like from 1996 6-20ish HP. So NOT even remotely close. I guess who ever was in it before did that?