1972 Starcraft Islander 21 project.

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going to strip off all the vinyl and see what it looks like under neath,, im thinking i can get to the rivets under the vinly and that i dont have to remove the frame.. will see.... ive got a lead on a used alum 27 gal tank,, its 21 wide by 6 3/4 tall by 45 long.. will see if it fits,, only $75 bucks,, prob need a new sending unit....

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone changed out the hydro oil in this pump pictured above,, probably a good idea to do...clean carb today, get lower taken down...

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Now there are some pics!!!! Looks like she will be a nice one when you are done. Couple Questions:

Are you doing a complete gut and restore?
She looks like she could use one

Have you checked your transom?
Looked like there could be some damage or start of damage

On the trailer, are you going to change her to bunks or leave her as rollers?

To your questions:
Regarding removing the frame, I am not familiar with your boat; however, from what I see in the pics, looks like some simple blind rivets so removing and reinstalling shouldn't be an issue. May make working on her easier without stuff out of the way and not having to worry about damaging anything.

In regards to your hydraulic pump, any fluid or component I would take a part and give it a good cleaning and put in new fluid. It may take longer and seem unnecessary, but one less thing for you to worry about and potential break down. Put in the work now to have long "play" days without issues.

As for refilling the hydraulic pump, once you are satisfied with the pump, youtube has several videos regarding refilling pumps. While they might not be the same the concept should be the same.

All in all, a very good looking boat that I am sure you will be very happy with once you have her out on the water!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The transom is going to be replaced. the flooring is completely shot...I think I will leave the rollers on,, I actually like a bunk trailer better, think it supports the weight of the boat better,, and doesnt creat a pressure point on the hull... I Got to some of the flooring today,, looks like i have to remove the inwales to get the floor out.. will post pics later !

Pusher

Lieutenant
You're cooking now! She has a lot of potential. I can't find one of theseā€‹ projects to save my life.

On the rebuild could you rivet aluminum channel to your side panels so in 10 years you could just pull all the flooring out within an hour? Having it secured under the interior panels send like a pain in the tookus

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah its a bit of a pain,, the inwales have to come out in order to get the floor up.. working on the outdrive tyring to get the impeller changed out,, so far I cant even budge the oil drain or fill.. and the prop is completely corroded to the shaft...I dont have a prop puller, and i tried to tap the prop from the back, but that probably isnt sound like a good idea... as im basically pushing at all the gears in the housing,, the prop has a huge chunk taken out of it,, and I have a spare prop that came with the boat,,so Im cutting the prop off with the grinder...

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the lower unit off the outdrive.. not alot of corrosion looks good,, will get the prop off, then get the new impeller installed.. maybee monday but today its a ride on the harley....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Holy moly, you found a baby pool under your deck???!!!

Wow, that takes the cake, nice score!:thumb::watermelon::embarassed::rockon::peace::becky:

Pusher

Lieutenant
šŸ˜‚
Who wouldn't want a little splish plash while boating!?!

Good thing you're tearing into it!!!

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pool was the perfect size to cover the motor while its raining here... the dogs love water but refuse to use the pool....cant imagine what would happen with that motor under way with the stringers like that....right side is almost gone....