1972 SeRay OMC Stringer

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 SeRay OMC Stringer

As I suspected, you have the high profile electric shift outdrive. Sad to say the only choices you have are to fix it or dump the boat. There is no equivalent in the later hydro or full mechanical drives. To convert, the hole in your transom is too high and your stringers are too high.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

As I suspected, you have the high profile electric shift outdrive. Sad to say the only choices you have are to fix it or dump the boat. There is no equivalent in the later hydro or full mechanical drives. To convert, the hole in your transom is too high and your stringers are too high.

I'm not dumping boat certainly not worth doing that.....I will ride it out and order any parts I can find to keep me going for a couple years. Maybe then, I will consider new boat or repower!

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

So when ordering a impeller which one do I need? And where do I find it?

Also what type of gear lube/oil don't use in this drive?

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

So when ordering a impeller which one do I need? And where do I find it?

Also what type of gear lube/oil don't use in this drive?
You can order the impeller HERE. Get the whole kit, you should change everything that's in it while you're in there. Your engine should have a designation on it (mines on the starboard side toward the back). You'll identify the drive using that number.

For the intermediate and the upper you can use any marine gear lube. For the lower you need Type C, otherwise it may not shift properly.