1972 offshore rebuild

cowherd

Seaman
Not much progress this weekend. Did go pick up my next project. Sorry fellas not a tinnie

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Transom looks nice man :thumb:

A 6 wheeled ATV, what guy never wanted one of those when he was a kid! SaaaWeet!

cowherd

Seaman
Hoping to get flipped and prepped for paint this weekend. Got some help here for the weekend too. Got three of the grand kid here. Been out of town the few weeks cause my mother had open heart surgery.

cowherd

Seaman
Got tinnie on donor trailer gonna need some modifications but better than old one. Did some experimenting with some stripper and Sander think Sander is working better

jbcurt00

Staff member
The vinyl insert?

Someone re-blacked it w/ that stuff recommended for black bumpers/window trim and if I remember correctly, someone else used vinyl upholstery dye too...

No data @ longevity/life

jbcurt00

Staff member
The aluminum rub rail could be prepped & painted like any aluminum part I suppose. Have to be sure you don't get too much paint where the vinyl insert goes (making pulling the insert from stern to bow even harder) and along the edge of the exposed aluminum where it meets the vinyl (friction when pulling the insert).

Are your end caps aluminum or plated Zamak pot metal?

I don't know how best to prep the pot metal for paint, but again aluminum endcaps prep & paint like aluminum.

I have no idea how it was prepped or how long it's been painted, but my 1st Jet has all the rubrails, endcaps, bow light & hardware painted a deep red & it is all EXCEPTIONALLY well stuck.

cowherd

Seaman
Is the 18' offshore wider than the 16' ss? I've been looking for a convertible top for my offshore and I found on for a 16' ss just wondering if it will fit.

cowherd

Seaman
That's what I thought but was hoping there was a chance that it would fit. Where can a person find one?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Several have ventured to bend their own frame & sew a cover themselves or pay for just the cover. The ends/mounts, swivels & etc are available at iboats I'm pretty sure, and elsewhere online.

Ebay

Craigslist

You might find a donor glass boat that has a cover and possibly other bits & pieces to salvage before it gets the heave hoe to the dump............

And there are probably a hundred online vendors that sell convertibles

Here's the link to iboats Starcraft bimini tops