1972 mercury 402 40hp two questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

twsmith54

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to get this 402 going. All the wiring was toast so I'm working on that, but i noticed that there appears to be a **** linkage broken. Does that look broken to you as well? The cable goes from that shift likage to the top of the starter houseing (which i have obviosly removed already). I have a service manual and have looked for the part # on line as well. But i can't find any info on what that linkage is called or a part number. Also can't find information in the Mercury service manual what the interlock cable even does. Can someone please help me out? :)
-Travis

Attachments

• Interlock cable.jpg
    Interlock cable.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
  • Interlock cable 2.jpg
    Interlock cable 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Prevents operation of recoil when motor is in gear ?----You should replace the oil recirculation hose.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The oil recirculation line is clearly visible in the second picture.----About 3/16" diameter and it appears to be cracked !

twsmith54

Seaman Apprentice
The oil recirculation line is clearly visible in the second picture.----About 3/16" diameter and it appears to be cracked !
Ok, I'm not great at this, but I think you talking about the fuel line to the carburetor. It has paint in it making it look cracked. It's actually is in good shape (maybe the only thing). I removed the line from the adapter to the fuel pump as it was leaking. Its being remade for me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Replace the little oil recirculation line.----Goes from near bottom of engine to near upper bearing.

twsmith54

Seaman Apprentice
So it looks like the interconnect cable hooks to part 14. But this one in the picture doesn't show it the same as mine with the arm sticking out the other way that the interconnect cable attached to. However in the starter cord housing parts diagram the interconnect cable is in the parts diagram. So my question is do I replace part or forgo the use of the interconnect cable? Will I compromise some kind of safety?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-160421.png
    Screenshot_20220809-160421.png
    315 KB · Views: 4

twsmith54

Seaman Apprentice
So it looks like the interconnect cable hooks to part 14. But this one in the picture doesn't show it the same as mine with the arm sticking out the other way that the interconnect cable attached to. However in the starter cord housing parts diagram the interconnect cable is in the parts diagram. So my question is do I replace part or forgo the use of the interconnect cable? Will I compromise some kind of safety?
Bump

Status
Not open for further replies.