1972 Mercury 1150 power tilt/trim

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't run this boat in a few years. It's always worked no problem. Today the power tilt/trim would go down but not up. I'm guessing there's a wiring issue. Any suggestions welcomed.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That power trim system has a trim limit switch on the starboard trim bracket. They break all the time. Does the trailer function work?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those PTT systems had 3 buttons on a panel. The middle button trimmed the motor up until the trim limit switch opened. Pressing the top and middle button together tilted the motor all the way up.

What does your system do?

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have that switch. The bottom switch lowers the motor but the other two are not doing anything right now.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those PTT units have a solenoid to run the PTT motor in the up direction. It is located on the PTT unit in the boat. See if the wiring is attached. If so, jumper the solenoid (large red wire on solenoid to small blue wire on solenoid), and see if the trim works. If trim operated, you have wiring issue from solenoid to push button. The push buttons were replaceable, but were solid copper and real durable.

If not, jumper both large wires on solenoid together. If trim operates, you probably have a bad solenoid.

If that doesn't work, the trim motor is having an issue. They do have a bi-metal circuit breaker inside the PTT motor. They can get some rust in them.