1972 Merc 65. Carb rebuild question.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer
Hi<br />I have a 1972 65hp Merc that is leaking fuel from the carbs. I've had it running, but it won't stay running without choke. Yet when the engine shuts down, fuel pours from both carbs.<br /><br />I want to remove the carbs and rebuild them, but I'm still waiting for my manual to arrive. Is there a way to get the carbs off without having to remove all the electrics that seem to be in the way? If not, exactly which parts do I need to remove in order to get to the carbs?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br />Steve

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1972 Merc 65. Carb rebuild question.

No, you will have to remove the starter and dist

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

That's bad news! I thought I might have to remove the starter, but I didn't think the distributor would be in the way.<br />Never mind.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Steve

rsharer

Cadet

I got a 1972 80 hp,if they are close you do have to remove the starter and the front plate (regulator).i was able to get the carbs off with leaving the dist in place.its a job getting to the 2 nuts on the dist side though.i would figure on new fuel lines to the carbs and between them.if they are original they will most likely crack when you remove them.<br /><br /> rob

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, the fuel lines are shot. I'll be replacing them too. They have fittings attached to them which screw in. Are they very expensive?

Laddies

Banned

The cheapist and easyist way to replace the lines is with bulk fuel line and hose barbs