1972 Mako 22' - Cleaning gas tank.

Saltymut

Seaman
I have a 1972 Mako with a 51-gallon aluminum tank that has 3 year old gas in it. I just bought a new motor to mount and know the the gas has got to go. Removing the tank from the hull and replacing it with a new one is not an option, due to the T-Top and Center Console mounting position. The only alternative is to clean the existing tank. I tried to siphon the 1/2 tank (20 gallons) of gas out but the siphon hose I was using kept getting clogged with "white sludge". I've read several threads discussing certain chemicals that can be used to clean out the sludge from DIESEL tanks, but this one is gas. Are there any "cost effective" solutions to remove the old gas and have the tank clean again? The boat is being worked on in the Beaumont, TX area, so if I need to have it professionally done, are there any marine shops that can handle this? The winds are going to die down eventually and I've got to get into the blue waters soon....PLEASE HELP !!!!<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Saltymut

D

DJ

Re: 1972 Mako 22' - Cleaning gas tank.

Salty,<br /><br />You tank should have at least two access points.<br /><br />1. For the fuel filler/vent.<br /><br />2. One for the guage.<br /><br />If you remove the sending unit for the guage, the opening will be much larger and easier to access than the filler.<br />More than likely the sending unit is under a deck plate.

Saltymut

Seaman

The tank has a "direct reading fuel guage" which is located directly under the center console in the stowage area. It is molded with the fiberglass deck.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You should have a round 6" or so access plate on the floor directly over the sending unit.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

There is another way. Unhook the fuel line from the motor. Since the pick-up is at the bottom of the tank you might be able to use the fuel line as a siphon. If you are unable to get a flow, connect the end of the fuel line to an electric pump and pump it out into a container.<br /><br />I have read posts where this process (called scrubbing) is used on diesel tanks with the addition of a fuel filter and the fuel going right back into the tank it was pumped from.

Saltymut

Seaman

Bingo !!!! Thanks SoLittle, That did the trick as far as removing the old gas from the tank. We filled several different sized gas containers with the old fuel, but now I guess I'll be doing some more research on this "scrubbing" technique. Anybody out there have some ideas on the way I should go about doing this? I would really like to find out if there is some type of chemical that needs to be "scrubbed" with. I remember somewhere reading something about using a high pressure pump?!?!?!<br /><br />Bryan

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

There are a number of brands of fuel stabilizer that you can add to the fuel to "extend" it's life. <br /><br />As for now if I were you I would dispose of the fuel you got from the tank. Check with your county to see if they have any disposal sites for paint & fuel. I would also install a water seperator/fuel filter (looks like an auto oil filter) in the line from the tank to the motor if you do not already have one. That will prevent any residual crud from getting to your motor. And - check the filter once in a while.

Saltymut

Seaman

Im already a step ahead of you on the water seperator. I just ordered one last week ( http://qualitymarinesurplus.com/SS Fuel water Sep..jpg ). It should be here in time before Memorial weekend. As far as the fuel filters go, I'm guessing the best "econimical" route would be to buy a handfull (or two hadfulls) of inline filters from Academy. It seems like common sense that it (fuel filter) should be placed BEFORE the water seperator. Am I right? I really appreciate the input.<br /><br />Bryan

wezie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The water separator is a filter with a reservoir for the water to separate out. The water will be in the bottom of the can when you check or replace the filter, which you will do a lot after you get everything clean and ready to go. Do not forget to clean or replace the fuel line itself. Buying more filter elements and changing them frequently initially may be a better way to go than the in line filters.<br />Adding more filters inline may be too much of a good thing. You will have to ask around some more about that. If you slow the fuel flow too much the engine will run lean and that creates heat and that is not good for aluminum engines.<br />Please make sure you got all the debris from the tank before you take off. If you rush this, you will forever have problems. <br />Good Luck.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

When you go to replace a filter take the old one off and pour the contents into a clean glass jar and have a look see.