1972 Johnson 65 REVIVED! It's ALIVE!

DJacksonRN

Cadet
Bought a '72 Johnson 65 about a month ago, removed from a decrepit Bonito. Couldn't check anything on site other than the prop spun and drove the cylinders with the plugs removed (in F/N/R, now I know why- Hydro-electric) so it appeared to be not frozen, and I picked it up for $125. Did a LOT of reading and dissection of parts diagrams, and ordered up what I thought was needed to revive it. New water pump impeller (kept the old aluminum housing and machined .006 off it to smooth it out), lots of tripleguard, flushed and refilled the lower end (no H2O or metal that I could see), replaced the washers on the in/out on the lower end. Hydro-electric cables were a BEEOTCH to rethread, even though I had snaked fishing line through to do it. Eventually used my trusty Camelback tubing and some ingenuity to get them back up. Rebuilt the carbs, reeds looked good, compression checked out at 135, 130 and 132. Good spark, newer plugs were already in it. Replaced the fuel filters and lines with ETOH resistant material and regreased the starter. Replaced the t-stat and gasket and grommets in the bypass. She fired up on the first try on Friday, ran great, works in F/N/R. Didn't bring her up to speed (on muffs), but pleased with the results so far. Total cost so far: $275 (including the big tub of Tripleguard that should last a while...) Now, where can I find an outrageous deal on a 16 foot skiff to mount her on....

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 Johnson 65 REVIVED! It's ALIVE!

Hey, Djack, you got yourself a great motor there! Good compression numbers, and it sounds like you've covered all the important stuff. Good job! Shouldn't be to hard to find a boat since it seems you aren't afraid to do some work on 'em! Keep us posted!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

what the heck is tripleguard?

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's gotta be better than doubleguard....lol.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

OMC/BRP grease. You all have to be joshing.