1972 Johnson 65 HP Stator Goo Question.

72seastar

Seaman
i know i probably need pictures but im about 70 miles away from the boat.

my stator seems to have put out some brown goo looking stuff i would imagine this is the original stator and im not sure that this is normal i wanted to know if any of you had this happen. it still runs just fine but was unsure of this

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1972 Johnson 65 HP Stator Goo Question.

It's probably on it's way out.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The stator under the flywheel can be checked visually for a meltdown. Look closely at it. If there is any cracks combined with a sticky substance dripping down on the timer base and powerhead area, that would result in a AC voltage drop to the powerpack. Should this condition exist, replace the stator.

This condition could be caused by a shorted rectifier, resulting in charging voltage backing up into the stator. See below......

(Small Rectifier Description & Location)
(J. Reeves)

On most 2,3,4,6 cylinder engines, the small rectifier is located on the starboard (right) side of the engine just in front of the engines electrical wiring strip. There are a few older V4 engines that have the wiring strip on the rear portion of the engine and the rectifier would be located just under that terminal strip. The smaller horsepower engines usually have the rectifier located on the starboard side of the powerhead close to the carburetor area.

The rectifier appears to be a round object approximately one inch (1") in diameter and also about one inch (1") high. The base of it is sort of triangular in appearance and is attached to the engine with two (2) screws/bolts..... usually one screw/bolt is larger than the other. The rectifier, depending on which one your engine uses, will have either:

One Red wire, one Yellow wire, and one Yellow/Gray wire, or One Red wire, and two Yellow wires.

Note that either of the above rectifiers could have a fourth wire which would be Yellow/Blue

(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

72seastar

Seaman

sorry one more bit of information i should have added is i have replaced the starter, power pack, rectifier, starter solenoid

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

And now you can replace the stator :) . The stator is a two part component. There is a series of coils which supply AC voltage to the rectifier for charging the battery. There are three (3) larger coils that supply approximately 300 AC volts to the capacitor within the powerpack to engage the ignition. A meltdown results in a voltage drop to the powerpack = weak, erratic, and eventually no ignition.

Double check your present rectifier.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually the 1972-'73 stators had a nasty habit of melting down, for no other reason than the choice of material they were made from. Usually, the first sign of trouble was hard starting. Especially on the four cylinder motors that didn't crank as easy/fast.

72seastar

Seaman

i do have a bit of trouble getting her started the first start after its been sitting during the week. after the first start though it will fire right up every time after that i have a reason to believe it has to do with the battery cable

wmconway

Seaman

i had the same reddish-brown goo coming out of my stator in addition to shiny black resin. I added pics in thread "1995 Johnson 200 won't start without fully charged battery". I replaced that stator and the regulator-rectifier. I also replaced my battery cable and the batteries are on charge now.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

i do have a bit of trouble getting her started the first start after its been sitting during the week. after the first start though it will fire right up every time after that i have a reason to believe it has to do with the battery cable

Well maybe the cable, maybe not. The ignition system on those motors will not create a spark unless the motor is cranking a certain minimum RPM. A melted stator requires a faster cranking speed in order to create a spark. A bad battery cable will result in slower cranking speed. So, you see it is all related.

If your cable is truly bad, replace it. But don't let it fool you into thinking the stator is ok after you do. It will let you down.

Um, just wondering....was all that other stuff replaced because of hard starting? Perhaps it was not necessary and a stator would have fixed it. (???)

72seastar

Seaman

no the power pack was replaced after the starter because it wouldn't even turn over so i started with the starter, then to the power pack and then it started, found out it wasn't charging the batteries so i started going through the charging system and the first least expensive part i found was the rectifier so i went there and now it charges. i noticed the stator goo when i bought it and went down to the boats parts place in kansas city and they said i could go new or used i looked at self after self of used ones (literally thousands) and saw most of them had the same issue so thought well must not be that uncommon and left it but like i said now im bored since its winter and i like to tinker when im bored..... so figured i would gather info on it.