1972 hydrostatic 125, hot wire blowing fuses.

starkizzle

Seaman
After fooling with my meter I am sure the solenoid with green wire is bad, because the one with blue was reading 4-5 ohms... Anyone one here keep old johnson parts kicking around?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If it were mine, I would use a battery operated continuity tester to check the green wire -- alligator clip to the knife connector at the top, and pierce the wire insulation with the probe somewhere around the solenoid. Would want to make sure that the circuit is complete down to the solenoid anyway. If there is a break in the wire, find out where it is.

starkizzle

Seaman
So if i connect from the knife connector on the solenoid side, and then ground, and its bad, that would mean the solenoid right? Because going from solenoid to the power head side of the wire would read the whole circuit?

starkizzle

Seaman
well that was not cheap.. 150$, I really hope this gets her running right.. Anyone has any advice on checking anything else?
And anything special before before or during putting the lower back together? Just like it came apart?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When you connect the new solenoid to the cable make sure you cover the connection with heat shrink tube

starkizzle

Seaman
I put everything back together and it shifts fine, was out on the boat for maybe 20 minutes and started to notice smoke coming from the throttle/gear selector at the controls.. everything seemed to work fine, and i didnt feel any hot wires like before.. Any chance this is a result of bad heat shrinking and its getting water to it? It also will not turn off with the ignition switch, i am thinking maybe a wire just came loose and is grounding out? any thoughts? I am going to take it apart in the morning.