1972 connelly hook ski?

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 connelly hook ski?

Nice shot. Sorry to hear you aren't skiing anymore. :(
Most of my slalom buds are 45-55 years old - at least the hardcore regulars.

Connelly has had a long run of great products and with skis like the F1 and Prophecy they are still going strong. (And they HAVE made a few improvements in the past 24 yrs.)

cr2k

Captain

What a nostalgia trip this thread is!
In the late 60's thru the 70's I ran a Wood Comp O'Brien. Drilled the skeg and boy what a turner it became! But my first shoulder plant was on a Maha when they were first out.
BTW I would still have the O'Brien, but...I loaned it to my sis for a year and she had it totally refinished for me custom paint and resin finish. Really nice job..One problem, who ever did the sanding sanded the bevel so after that it was un-ride-able and went to yard sale with a disclaimer.

I did manage to "wear out" a wood comp. My 66" delamed the bottom on landing from a wake jump.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Back in '73, I got a Western Wood as it was the ski of choice for Mike Suyderhoud. I figured if he used one, it was good enough for me. For those not in the know Mike was a 5 time World Champion and a 16 time National Champion. I absolutely love that ski. I still have it and it's still my ski of choice. It's beautiful. I've tried many ski's since but still keep going back to the Western Wood. I never had the opportunity to ski on a Maha but I always wanted to. I heard they were better than the Western Wood's but who knows. I think it all boils down to personal preference.

I don't think older skis retain any real value. I have refinished a few old Cypress Garden ski's and hung them on the walls of my garage at the lake. If/when I ever stop skiing, I'll probably hang the Western Wood up as well. The garage is my "Man Cave" and I love spending time out there so I thought I might as well make it a reflection of my passions.

skibrain

Mike is definitely an icon in the sport, and his contribution to the "west coast slalom" counter rotation technique used by many top competitors today is great evidence of that. He's the man. Not to throw spray on 1973 equipment, but last time I checked, Mike was not still skiing on a Western Wood. :)

The WW is a very cool paring with your classic Century Resorter.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Mike is definitely an icon in the sport, and his contribution to the "west coast slalom" counter rotation technique used by many top competitors today is great evidence of that. He's the man. Not to throw spray on 1973 equipment, but last time I checked, Mike was not still skiing on a Western Wood. :)

The WW is a very cool paring with your classic Century Resorter.

My Western Wood from 1973 has his signature on it. While he may or may not have been using one in 1973, he was still endorsing it.

It's too bad my lake house is several hours away. Otherwise I'd take a picture of it to post. It is a very beautiful ski. I just love the looks of the old "woodies". And that includes boats.

WizeOne

Commander

.....One problem, who ever did the sanding sanded the bevel so after that it was un-ride-able .....

I'm in a slow process of refinishing my mid 70's Maha. I figured that bevel was very critical so I cut a couple of different contoured sanding blocks to sand them with so that I could retain the original shape.

Getting older than I like to admit and sporting a defibrilator to boot, I doubt I'll ever have the chance to test it out.:mad:

SandingBlocks.jpg

Maheraja2.jpg

Maheraja4.jpg

skibrain

Not contesting what he was riding in '73. Photos on Mike's website show him on a 2006 HO Monza.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Not contesting what he was riding in '73. Photos on Mike's website show him on a 2006 HO Monza.

If I recall, and I'm probably wrong, the early to mid seventies was when composite ski's began to come into vogue. They are superior in every way (except looks). I am sure all the pros began to use them in this timeframe. Not very surprised to see no mfg. making skis in wood anymore.:(

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I skied on a old O'brien Wood Comp during the 70's and a Cypress Gardens Tech One. I went to a Kidder Redline Graphite in 1985 and still have that ski it was the best turning ski I have ever been on. I ski to day on a Connely FX1 and it is the easiest ski to pop out on and it skis great. I still ride the Kidder ocasionally. My son loves the old Obrien as it is only 63" long. I remember all those times throwing water on my older sisters and their friends laying out on the dock! Man was I a pest!

cam22

Recruit

I too skied on a k2 and it was the best don't know if they make them anymore either but it was a great ski would love to get my hands on one it was great on glass like conditions a little tricky on rough water

Bullcamp

Recruit

Totally enjoying this ski forum. :) Learned on a Maha. Remember the spray from out in front too, until I figured out you had to go fast enough and keep it on edge. Beautiful ski. Miss those days... Anyway, riding a Connley something or other now (shortline I think). Still love to ski.