1972 25hp johnson rough mid-range

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello<br /> just got back from fishing for the weekend. first year i have had this motor. idles awesome, excellent trolling speed, no problems there. carb was completely rebuilt before the weekend. new gas, 50:1, etc. when accelerating, it misfires, runs really rough, and takes a while to get up speed, then continues to misfire for about 30 seconds before achieving top speed. then it runs great wide open for as long as you want. when de-cellerating, it does the same thing. misfires, really rough shakes like heck, etc. it never stalls, just runs rough. when it gets back to trolling speed, it runs awesome again? any clue? thanks<br />tim

D

DJ

Re: 1972 25hp johnson rough mid-range

logan,<br /><br />What year is this engine?

D

DJ

logan,<br /><br />Sorry, I missed 1972! Can you see the timing plate under the flywheel move smoothly throughout the throttle range? Does it hang up?

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the reply. "timing plate under the flywheel" i'm not entirely sure what tolook for but i willgo try right now.i had a feeling it was ignition, but i dont think points were the problem because of how it ran otherwise. back in a sec.

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the timing plate is where the plug wires come off of? if so, it seems to move smooth through the throttle-up.

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i just thought i would add my fishing experience this weekend. i had never been to this lake before. my buddy said it was a walleye lake. it has been so cold this spring, the lakes finally melted about 10 days ago. we fished the first day for about 1/2 hour and i caught a 7 pound lake trout! i thought that was pretty cool until about 15 mins later when my uncle caught a 20 pounder. no pickeral, but still pretty awesome.!

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class

okay i have my motor in the shed with the flywheel pulled and i think it is an ignition problem. what should i be looking for?