No Title

Beginning of leak test

Attachments

• photo215201.JPG
    photo215201.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 2

rehab

Seaman Apprentice
boat in water.JPG So the 42 year old boat holes water. it did have a small drip up front but really not to bad. I test again after I strip paint off haul.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That's great to hear and it's coming along nicely! Slow but steady and you'll get there.

InMotion

Commander
Hey Rehab,

Just thought I'd welcome ya in your thread as well!

One thing I learned with the my Admiral is that I could have spent $20 or $20,000 ---- in the end it was the experience that mattered to her. I just made mine a nice enough boat that she and the kids and I can enjoy over and over. In the end, whether it's a boat, car or atv --- none are really investments in the truest sense --- meaning they don't put money in our pockets --- they take it out!!! :D

However, they are an investment of your time, your energy and your creativity and your passion --- and that is the secret sauce that makes the whole thing worthwhile in the end! NowhatImean?? :rolleyes:

So, if ya got the right mindset at the get go, the rest of the project is way more enjoyable and the folks here at this site will direct ya in the right direction when ya run into trouble!

Looks like you've got a great boat to use a platform to create what ever you want!

Have fun man and I look forward to following along!

Jim

rehab

Seaman Apprentice
Jim (INMOTION) Thanks for the encouragement. Your restoration of the Falcon is what wanted me to do more then just the motor.

Thanks for following
ED

InMotion

Commander
Jim (INMOTION) Thanks for the encouragement. Your restoration of the Falcon is what wanted me to do more then just the motor.

Thanks for following
ED

Awesome man! Rock and Roll! :D

J.

rehab

Seaman Apprentice
MYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY !!!!! All hands on deck...... I'm in need of assistance. Do I use fiber glass, BP, Aluminum or all ? Not sure of best steps at this point.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Wow that's not good.:faint2: Check out waterman's chieftan rebuild. He had some pretty bad corrosion he had to repair.

jbcurt00

Staff member
ClassicCat's did too...... I can't recall another that had quite as pervasive corrosion on the transom though....

RehabsFalcon_zps9154dd3f.jpg

Is that about right? If I marked any places where it's just down to primer or bare aluminum as corrosion, just X those out or something.

Obviously, the blue bilge drain is to remain, as are a couple of splashwell drains and a few rivet holes I circled in green. Those that aren't needed should be good metal surrounding the holes that shouldn't need a lot of prep to deal w/.

Lets see how bad it really is 1st. If I've marked the corrosion correctly, there's a lot of additional prep work to be done unless you've already gotten back to something close to good metal at all those corrosion thru holes. On the far left and right corrosion circles, are they marked correctly?

This amount of corrosion on the transom indicates that extensive, careful, close examination is needed for both the inside and the outside of the hull and all the rivets below the chine rail (roughly the waterline) from stem to stern (front to back).

Might post a shot of the inside of the transom skin and some closer shots of the worst corrosion (both inside and outside) damage.

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got a new wiring harness for to motor and i'm starting to rebuild lower unit pump and any seals. also will be filling the haul up with water to lower rivets to check for leaks.
I have a 1970 1350 Merc that I have replaced the dry rotted wires as they show up upon spring start up checks. I would like to find a source to replace them. Have looked a some offerings on Clist but the wires of that age are rubber coated and are as bad or worse than mine. Where they new or from a used motor?

Don't panic, just hang in there. There are a lot of restores on Iboats that where as bad or worse and have been fixed. When you get done you will have a classic. ;)

rehab

Seaman Apprentice
LastDollar
I have an old merc dealer or (older gentleman) that I have be friended by asking questions and showing up to his shop a few days a week. He only believes in mercury. If you ask about anything other than merc part he will tell you he can't help. To put it nicely. I have his card witch is in my work truck and I will post the info for you on Monday. He had what I needed and sure to have or able to get what you need if it is still made.

Tnstratofam

Commander
tnstratofam

I tried to find watermans post just not able.

He is the 2014 SOTY ( Starcraft Splash Of The Year )Winner. His thread is Tin Addiction in the completed restorations forum. When you have time you should check out all the completed boat projects. They have given me lots of good information and ideas. I was lucky when we redid our transom as there was very little corrosion to deal with, and none of it had worked through so I'm not sure what the best procedure is. Like jb said you should check out classiccats as well.

Allot of people put links to their restos in their sig line. Just like in mine you'll see a link to our transom repair, and to our currently on hold Stratos resto.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Thanks jb I haven't figured out how to post links with my new tablet yet.

rehab there are lots of great info in just the starcraft rebuild sections, not to mention hours of worthy reading.

rehab

Seaman Apprentice
stripped transum.JPG OK will having an Silver Bullet In a aluminum can It Can to me, what I think is my best way to repair transom. Brazing a new sheet of aluminum a cross the transom on the outside,.

Anyone have any other good ideas?