1971 Merc 650 Type III ignition timing questions

cabinover

Cadet
Thanks for taking a look and replying if you are familiar with this engine. Was given this motor last year as it no longer ran and the owner wasn't interested in repairing it. Couple hundred dollars later I have a spare CDI box and a newer distributor. Bad pickup coil was the original problem. I cannot remember if I moved the timing stops when I changed the distributor but something tells me I did. Ordered a PDF of the service manual and have read the applicable section a hundred times. Nowhere for my type ignition did it mention using a dial indicator to set timing. When I pulled the cover off today I see a sticker that states .300 BTDC, 38°
When I asked the local marine mechanic about this new revelation he said follow that sticker. (I have asked him to look at this motor and it's timing but he's two weeks out minimum as he told me today)

I understand the .300 BTDC for #1 cylinder. What I don't understand is how the 38° is indicated I guess. I have three dots on the side of my flywheel and a degree sticker on the housing around the flywheel. I would understand using a timing light but it'd make quite the mess on that #1 piston when it whacks the dial indicator.

BTW, this motor does run. I just do not want to blow it up before I get to some fishing this year. Thank you for any help, another Bob in VT.

cabinover

Cadet
Just wanted to reply to this post should someone else find themselves in the same predicament. When all was said and done I had two bad triggers that would either not let the motor start, would start and run around 2000RPM sitting on the idle screw, or run just fine and then die whenever it felt like doing so. Bought a year older motor with a self powered distributor and it's associated switchbox. Swapped out the dist and box and life has been good so far. The only downside is my ignition switch is bad and doesn't short out the distributor so I have to run a wire to the switchbox and short it myself to kill the motor. Will fix it someday....after fishing season is over. :)

cabinover

Cadet
Just wanted to reply to this post should someone else find themselves in the same predicament. When all was said and done I had two bad triggers that would either not let the motor start, would start and run around 2000RPM sitting on the idle screw, or run just fine and then die whenever it felt like doing so. Bought a year older motor with a self powered distributor and it's associated switchbox. Swapped out the dist and box and life has been good so far. The only downside is my ignition switch is bad and doesn't short out the distributor so I have to run a wire to the switchbox and short it myself to kill the motor. Will fix it someday....after fishing season is over. :)