1971 johnson 25 hp help

jason 1971

Cadet
Hello, just bought the motor yesterday. The guy fired it up in a tub of water, it idled fine, sounded good. He never revved it up or anything. He said it was a great motor, nothing wrong at all. I fired it up when i got home, and the tiller throttle didnt turn as much as i thought it would, probably only 60 degrees or so. with the top off you can see the advance or whatever the thing is under the flywheel turning good, but it seems like it should go farther. The little plastic bushing on the carb linkage that the advance is supposed to hit and make open the butterfly isnt being touched. So, when you turn the tiller all the way, it might be getting to 1000 rpms and the carb linkage isnt even opening. I can take my finger and do it and it revved up like i figured it should. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 johnson 25 hp help

It is designed not to allow you to twist the throttle too far when in neutral, so it sounds normal to me. You don't want to rev a motor up much when in neutral or you could quickly get into a runaway condition, quite possibly grenading the motor.

If you put it in forward you can throttle it all the way - BUT DON'T DO IT unless:
A) it is installed on a boat in open water, or;
B) the correct "test wheel" is installed in place of the prop if you are running it in a test tank, or;
C) the motor is not running.

jason 1971

Cadet

Thank you for the advice. I was wondering if there was some kind of safety precaution built into them. I went out just now and took the top off, put the motor in forward and the throttle worked like it is supposed to. I feel like a dork right now, but a happy one!!!! Thanks again!!!

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What are you going to put it on? Where are you located?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Better to feel briefly like a dork than to mess up your engine :)

jason 1971

Cadet

It is on a 1986 14 ft. smokercraft v-hull aluminum boat. Cant wait to get it on the water and see how it performs. Bought it yesterday. It has electric start and electric choke. I am going to buy a manual so i can get familiar with the whole thing.

jason 1971

Cadet

Most definitely!! Just glad i didnt tear anything up. I am familiar with my 454 magnum in my sundancer.......not so much with the little outboard!!!

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Jason. I have a 20 hp on my 14' tin boat and it pushes it along nicely at around 20 mph with just me in the boat, so you should expect similar results. Holler if you get stuck. We love pics ;)

jason 1971

Cadet

That is good to hear. I was hoping it would go about twenty or so. Will let you know when i get it on the water. :)