1971 Johnson 100hp Timing

fire0501

Seaman
Hello! I have a question about timing on this Johnson. I dont know that it is timed correctly and I just want to check it. Unfortunately I dont have a large enough test tank. I seen a post by Joe Reeves about timing without a tank or wheel simply by subtracting 4 Degrees on this post
http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...set-wot-timing-without-test-wheel-428951.html My question is will this apply to my Motor as well? I just want to be sure it is timed correctly before I keep usuing it. I plan to go out this weekend again and use it all day after I put the proper carbs on it. (There was carbs from a 1972 125 HP Johnson on it and it cut out real bad at past Half Throttle I think it was way too rich)

And One other question how can I tell if this motor has the Quick start feature?

1NewBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1971 Johnson 100hp Timing

Yes using that procedure to time your engine should work. This is pretty much a universal procedure.
As far as a fast start feature, if you have a "neutral start" throttle lever or have to increase the throttle at a cold start in neutral in order to start the motor, you don't have a fast start feature.
Most motors that old don't have it, in fact I would be surprised to see any boat motor that old with it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Johnson 100hp Timing

Fire0501..... Yes, that timing procedure should work perfectly with your engine. I say "should" due to the fact that although your engine has solid state ignition, your engine's ignition is what is called "Battery Capacitance Discharge Ignition" which was used from 1968 thru 1972... and my write up pertained to the solid state ignition called "Magneto Capacitance Discharge Ignition" which came into being in 1973 and is used to this day.

If when you check the timing via my method, the timing shows up being a lower number by 4 degrees, then I would assume the method holds true for both systems.

Your 1971 model DOES NOT have the "Fast Start" feature.