1971 Evinrude Lark 50 HP continuous warning buzzer

jfl1960

Seaman
Hey guys need some help her, first some background, this motor has been in storage for approx 12 years in a heated and dry garage. I have removed the carbs and cleaned them (wow they were a mess, bottom of bowls were like syrup), anyway got motor to start and run but warning buzzer comes on as soon as I turn key on, it is continuous, then when I engage starter buzzer stops, when engine starts buzzer is continuous again, I only had motor running for approx 30 seconds and buzzer did not stop so shut her down. Am replacing impeller tomorrow just to be safe, this motor was not overheated to set off buzzer because it hasn't run in 12 years and buzzer was continuous as soon as I turned on the ignition. Any suggestions as to what this could be other than a bad buzzer????

It's an Evinrude Lark from 1971, model number 50172s.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Evinrude Lark 50 HP continuous warning buzzer

With horn sounding off, remove the TAN wire from the horn. If the horn continues to sound, the horn is faulty.

If the horn stops sounding when you remove the TAN wire, either the TAN wire is gounded out somewhwre OR the overheat sensor in the cylinder head (Tan wire protruding) is faulty.

jfl1960

Seaman
Re: 1971 Evinrude Lark 50 HP continuous warning buzzer

With horn sounding off, remove the TAN wire from the horn. If the horn continues to sound, the horn is faulty.

If the horn stops sounding when you remove the TAN wire, either the TAN wire is gounded out somewhwre OR the overheat sensor in the cylinder head (Tan wire protruding) is faulty.

Sounds easy enough, will give that a try tomorrow. From what I can gather, the horn should beep when I first turn on key the go silent until there is an issue, is this correct.