1971 Evinrude 85HP Prop and Prop Nut

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer
hello,

1971 Evinrude 85HP Prop and Prop Nut

my sevice manual says my prop is an: aluminum, 3-blade 13 1/4" x 17"

i can attest to the 3 blades... :D but is there a spot on prop where what it's #s are stamped, etc?

also: it was suggested to me in another iboats post... the proper way to set prop nut is to first tighten it. how tight? by hand to remove all play? or with socket?

then it was suggested to back nut off to first hole avail for cotter key [sheer pin]

on my prop/shaft combo, when i got boat it was loose. prop would slide a bit back n forth on spline. maybe 1/32nd to 1/8".

here is my situation: i can hand snug the prop nut and prop will have no fore and aft movement. and when i do this it aligns with a cotter key hole. is this too tight?

i can back nut off a bit and it will have some fore and aft movement... maybe 1/32nd to 1/8". which is preferred?

thanks.

regards

lakester :cool:

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 Evinrude 85HP Prop and Prop Nut

My manual says to tighten the nut to 120 inlbs. Then continue tightening until cotterpin can be installed.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello guy,

thanks for your reply. did u read that for a 1971 85hp evinrude hydro-electric shift engine?

my oe sevice manual says on page 6-18...
n. coat splines with perfect seal #4 and install propeller. see fig 6-48.

shows parts arraingement, but nothing more is mentioned.

thanks.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I use a prop wrench, such as this

prop wrench.jpg

Tighten it until snug, if the cotter pin hole is aligned, insert pin. If not , back off until hole is present. There should be no play, so in your case insert pin at your first setting after you tightened it. Also make sure you have a SS pin.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lakester,
No that is in the manual for my 1989 100xp. As far as I know it uses the same props and hardware as yours. I just put mine on as Hightrim says he does, just wanted to put in what the manual says. I really don't think it's that critical, just use your judgement.
Goodday,
Brian

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello,

ok, thanks. i have the idea now. :D grease the splines, install the parts, snug it up, align holes, insert cotter key, ideal fit is with no play.

:)

regards