1971 Evinrude 60 HP

fire0501

Seaman
Ok I have an issue I havent encountered up until last night. I was assembling the new water pump housing and getting it ready to install on the LU. I was using a tap to clean out the threads as I usually do just for good practice and on the last hole the tap broke off inside.... Im not able to grab the tap with anything and I am at this point unsure what to do. If anyone has run into this problem could you help me out? The drill bits I have will not penetrate this tap I spent about 2.5 hours trying to get this thing out and have used a dremel to gut a slit in the tap to put a flat head in there and back it out but to no avail. This sucks!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1971 Evinrude 60 HP

It must be in there tight to break a tap.
Heat up the housing around it a bit, try a pointed cold chisel to turn it.
If its not a big part of the tap in there, you could screw it further down with a bolt, then use a smaller bolt on the pump

fire0501

Seaman

Thanks Bosunsmate. Tonight I tried to weld a bolt to it and back it out but that didnt go as planned so I drilled into the housing from the outside and used a punch to back it out and that worked so I used a 5/16th helicoil and now I have some jb welding to do to clean up my mess.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

i always tap with plenty of lube, a little at a time in and then all the way out blowing off the tap to keep her clean. good job on the removal.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Bosunsmate. Tonight I tried to weld a bolt to it and back it out but that didnt go as planned so I drilled into the housing from the outside and used a punch to back it out and that worked so I used a 5/16th helicoil and now I have some jb welding to do to clean up my mess.

I gotta hand it to ya, that was pretty creative. And Lady Luck sure was with you.

fire0501

Seaman

Yes Lady luck was with me If it was one of the holes closer to the solenoids I don't know that I would have been able to drill through the case but I was lucky! I used plenty of Lube but this is an old tap and I think I have dropped it quite a few times on the concrete garage floor and that probably caused some hairline fractures and she was just waiting to mess my day up lol.