1971 Evinrude 60 HP Water pump Issue

fire0501

Seaman
So I had a sneaking suspicion that my water pump wasn't pumping. I have a few questions and a few pics that I'm Hoping someone can answer for me. This site is great lots of great knowledgeable people. I have already ordered from here and as it seems i will be ordering again. Probably a whole water pump setup.

Dose this look like a toasted impeller?

And this Water Pump housing has gotten hot but Prob not from this impeller correct?

And this hole in the metal and the plastic of the housing is that supposed to be there?

One last Question In this next pic at about one o'clock from the spinning flywheel there is that flat head screw is that a tell tale hole? I had it out and started the motor and it looked like steam coming out of there. Is it part of the exhaust?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Evinrude 60 HP Water pump Issue

You need a complete replacement water pump. The melted housing suggests it ran without cooling for some reason. Could be pump failure, could have been ran out of the water, could have picked up a trash bag. Who knows??

The plug is not a tell tale. It is merely shown as a "plug" on the parts book. I honestly have no idea why it is there.

fire0501

Seaman

Thanks for the quick response! Is there a part number for a full kit? I am searching now but I am not having much luck

fire0501

Seaman

Also this housing has a part number of 383663 but the original parts diagram shows a part number 0313815 and after searching it looks like alot of different part numbers will fit??? I'm confused lol

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It originally had an aluminum pump housing. No, they were not "better". In fact, they gave a lot of trouble. The number I have for the whole kit (new style) is 383682.

fire0501

Seaman

Thanks F_R! Where do these part numbers come from? A book? Because I cant find much anywhere as far as interchangeability.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I got it from an iboats online competitor. Personally, I do not like posting competitors names. Kind of like going into a restaurant and telling the customers about another place to eat across the street. Send me a PM if you want to know.