1971 Eska has no spark

wild69er

Recruit
I have a 1971 Eska 5hp motor model 58991. I put new points, plug and condenser but still have no spark. Help!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Check that the new points open and close properly set at .020. Make contact when closed.Chack the spark plug wire.
Is it solid core plug wire?ends in good condition. Did you torque the flywheel nut to 25 ft lb. Flywheel bore and crank taper clean and dry.
Flywheel key not sheared.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Do you have the throttle opened to Start? There's sort of a a built-in kill switch on those that grounds the ignition when the throttle is on Stop.

If you have a multimeter you should see a couple of ohms difference to ground from the condenser side of the points when they open and close.

wild69er

Recruit
Everything is gapped and torqued correctly. Points function good. On the metal part where the coil slides on, I am guessing that's part of the magneto , has a coating of what looks like yellow paint. Is that supposed to be on there?

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I think the yellow stuff is some kind of adhesive.

When you say the points "function good", have you tested them with a meter? Or just see them opening and closing?

The problem is most likely either:

1) Points aren't making a good connection (a small bit of dirt or lint will hold them apart, check with a meter)
2) Something is grounding the circuit (again, check with a meter)
3) The spark plug wire is broken or pulled out of the coil (a meter will help there too)
4) The coil is bad

Last edited: