1971 boat with 1967ish 60 hp Evinrude. A Little help please?

flosho

Cadet
So myself and two of my roommates bought a older boat that we want to use for fishing/skiing/tubing/babe cruising( ). Anyways we got it dirt cheap.

It has an older 60 hp v4 evinrude outboard motor. Only problem is that the motor is not wired up and installed 100%. I'm wondering if anyone here has any boating experience(such as installing an outboard or just outboard/boat experience in general...)

It has what looks to be most of the components needed. Right now, I need a gas tank and battery for sure. There also seems to be a bracket missing that holds the steering cable in place and a bracket missing where it connects to the motor. Anyone know where I could get something like these brackets?

*edit* Did a lil research again and its rack and pinion steering..

Also is there any way to tell the type of steering system it uses? Hydrolic cable or rack steering? It looks to be hydrolic.

Can anyone help us out, point us in the right direction. Any good websites or forums that would be helpful?

Thanks in advance.
Jason

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1971 boat with 1967ish 60 hp Evinrude. A Little help please?

go to the engine faq a read 'awakening a sleeping outboard.'

flosho

Cadet

The engine was just out on the lake last summer, so the engine should be in good condition still. It has new plugs. The belts look good as well. I will check out the faq.

flosho

Cadet

Model #:60653 R

:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ok, first it's a 1966, brp-evinrudes diagrams only go back to 1968. if you have a digital camera take some pictures, and post them. this was a era where they where changing over from pulley & cable steering, to single cable. get under the steering wheel and find some #' or words so we can try to recognise what you have. also they were changing from 2 handle controlls, to the single lever you see today. we really need some pictures of the cable ends, and where they mount on the engine. by the way are you a dental student flos ho?