1971 85 HP Chrysler stator question

Vorden72

Cadet
Related topic to previous post. After removing flywheel see stator with two white wires connected to old style rectifier as shown on attached photo. My understanding is that stator generates ac current which is changed to dc by rectifier. My question is whether the stator as connected to rectifier also functions as trigger for ignition? And if not how is ignition triggered?

Attachments

• photo273821.JPG
    photo273821.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 1

Nordin

Commander
No the stator charge the battery after the rectifier has convert the AC current to DC.

This engine has a distributor with points and it is the points which trigger the ignition.

From factory the 85Hp 1971 had Motorola CD ignition. The battery charge the capacitor in the CD box and the points tigger the CD box to dump the current to the ignition coil.

Maybe your engine has been converted to regular battery ignition automotive style.

Vorden72

Cadet
Thanks for that explanation Nordin. Makes sense.. I did take the CD box from this engine and swapped for burned out coil on my other 1972 engine which seems to work well. That engine which is on boat now starts instantly and idles ok, both in neutral and in gear, but still needs work to make it run when increase throttle.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Go through the carb sinc sticky at the top of this forum. It should take care of your throttling up problems.