1971 21' Starcraft Chieftain (eventual restoration)

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1971 21' Starcraft Chieftain (eventual restoration)

Alright Guys,

I'll go with the 3:1 US Composites kit, how many gallons would be recommended for the deck and cuddy wall (I'm not doing anything with the transom at this time.)

I'm thinking 2 gallons will be enough, but I'm debating getting 3 to be safe... What do you say?

Thanks,

Erik

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I have been using that 3:1 from UScomposites as well. I don't think 2 gallons is going to be enough, you have a pretty big boat. Before all is said and done I will probably have used 9 gallons, but every piece of wood is getting two coats.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Here is the package that I went with...
P1010968.jpg

Which covered deck, transom, stringer "meat", a few misc pieces, and the Jet Star transom.

While you aren't working your transom I didn't epoxy my cabin walls so that about evens out.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the package that I went with...
P1010968.jpg

Which covered deck, transom, stringer "meat", a few misc pieces, and the Jet Star transom.

While you aren't working your transom I didn't epoxy my cabin walls so that about evens out.

Jason,

That's a four gallon kit, correct?

Reason I'm asking is looking at the FAQ page on the US Composite site they give roughly 250 sq foot coverage per gallon of epoxy, 250 sq feet is roughly the area of my deck (both sides) so I was thinking one gallon, maybe a little more would be enough for the deck and another gallon would be more than enough for the cuddy wall and maybe some of the wood up front (seats, etc...)

Are their coverage numbers really optimistic or did you do multiple coats on everything? I'm only using the epoxy to seal the wood, not for any added strength so I was hoping one coat would be sufficient.

I'll get four gallons if I really will need that much but I don't want to buy more than necessary.

Thanks for any insight!

-Erik

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nope, that there is the 5 + 1.6 gallon kit, EPOX-635316 here: http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Yah, all my stuff got at least 3 coats, edges got double that. One coat won't do it. You'll see that after the first coat the wood will suck it up and some spots will look/feel like bare ply. Two coats is probably sufficient in most cases (depending on the ply you are using). I went 3+ as I have absolutely no interest in doing this again;)

(unless it's another tin boat:D)

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, that there is the 5 + 1.6 gallon kit, EPOX-635316 here: http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Yah, all my stuff got at least 3 coats, edges got double that. One coat won't do it. You'll see that after the first coat the wood will suck it up and some spots will look/feel like bare ply. Two coats is probably sufficient in most cases (depending on the ply you are using). I went 3+ as I have absolutely no interest in doing this again;)

(unless it's another tin boat:D)

Thanks for the response, that's just the kind of real world experience advice I was looking for.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and go with the five gallon kit as you did. The way I see it if I'm going to do it I may as well do it right, better to spend an extra $100 now than to spend another $500 down the road to redo the deck because I cheapened out the first time around!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I hear ya.

Hey, if I may make one more suggestion....

I know you may not want to hear this, but here is my opinion...

So long as you are tearing everything out and putting it all back together, there is probably no better time to rebuild that transom than now, knowwhattamean?

I don't think it will be that much "extra" work for ya.

If you don't like my idea just pretend like you didn't see this post;):D

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yah, I hear ya.

Hey, if I may make one more suggestion....

If you don't like my idea just pretend like you didn't see this post;):D

I didn't see your post... ;)

Kidding aside the transom is next on my list, not to be replace necessarily but to be thoroughly checked for any bad wood. I will be replacing it if I find any soft or rotted wood but otherwise I'll leave it as it sits and not worry about it.

I'm actually kind of suspicious that the transom has been redone already by the previous owner. Just from an outside inspection and poking, prodding, whacking with screwdrivers and hammers it seems to be in much better condition than the deck was. I'll take some core samples to be sure but I'm expecting, and hoping like heck that it's in A-OK shape and won't need to be replaced!

-Erik

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I went back and looked at your photo of the transom. Couldn't see a whole lot but it does look good there!

The rot will start in spots that are tough to see and poke at though. Like where it sits in that shelf down at the bottom there, up in the corners, under the alum cap at the top and around the outdrive cutout.

That would be super cool if it has been rebuilt already for ya though!:)

All the best and have fun!

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Jason,

Quick question about the US Composites kit you ordered. Did it come with the pumps or did you buy them separately? Getting ready to order my epoxy this weekend and want to make sure I order everything needed but not extras.

Thanks,

-Erik

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nope had to grab the pumps separate. I think they were like an extra $10 but absolutely worth it for measuring out the 3:1, definitely get them.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Time for an update.

...Unfortunately there isn't much of an update to give. I've moved the boat inside for Winter storage, this will allow me to continue making progress through the Winter, unfortunately I'm storing the boat in a Barn at my Grandparents house and it's a 30 mile drive out there to work on it. I've been going out most weekends and making small progress each time.

Progress has been slow not only because of the distance and limited time but also due to my Grandfather having a stroke a few weeks ago, thankfully he's doing better each day but the road to recovery is going to be a long, constant struggle. Between going to visit him, work, and working on other projects time has been pretty tight and I feel like I've gotten less done in the past month than I had been getting done in one day when I began the restoration. Thankfully I don't need to have the project finished until Spring!

Hopefully I'll be pop-riveting in the new deck this weekend, I'll be sure to bring my camera to take pictures of the progress!

sextondm

Seaman Apprentice

Hi there!
I just bought a Starcraft, that I believe is the same model as yours, judging by the pictures. We were told by the previous owner that it is an '74 Starcraft Cruiser 22'. The hull number seems to coincide, with some of the last digits being 74. At any rate, I wonder if you can tell me where the build tag is that you have in your pictures of your Chieftain? I haven't been able to find any on my boat yet, but it has been carpeted inside, so I'm thinking it might be covered.
At any rate, your boat looks great! We're hoping that ours will start to look that way over time as well :)
I'd be grateful if you could help me positively identify our boat!
Thanks a lot,

David M. Sexton
USCG

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi David,

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been busy with other projects and away from the forum.

The build tag on my Chieftain is directly in front of the engine shift/throttle control, here's a better picture:

DSC_0018.JPG

Hope this helps!

Erik

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

A quick update, some new pictures to share, and a few questions!

Currently the deck is riveted in place, there are two coats of epoxy on the underside and three coats on the top. I would like to end up with a nice flat top to the deck, the pop rivets are countersunk and I have a small crevice where the tongue and groove of the plywood comes together, is there an appropriate filler I can use in these areas that could then be covered with a final coat of epoxy?

DSC_0002.JPG

Here's a picture of the current state of progress, the two pieces of cuddy wall are just being test fit, they'll be removed and epoxied next time I'm working on the boat. The fit is excellent and really makes me appreciate having somewhat decent old wood to use as patterns!

Now a question, I have this camper top that came with the boat. I'm pretty sure it's designed for the boat but I don't think it was ever used as the snaps don't align. Anyway the top is in pretty decent condition save for some mildew from being wet and sitting folded up for "years?" It also has small tears in the two side windows. I'm hoping to be able to refurbish and use it, does anyone have a source for new window plastic? Also interested in hearing how you clean the mildew without damaging the material, I was thinking bleach to kill the mildew then a thorough wash-down to remove the bleach before it dries the material, then throw the covers in a washing machine?

Here's a picture:

DSC_0006.JPG

I also think I may be missing some of the frame to mount to top with, I have 4-5 hoops and various connectors but there aren't enough mounts on the boat side. Does anyone have a top on their Chieftain/Islander that could take a picture for me? I have a tube bender and could make my own frame if I need to but I would help to see how they usually are put together!

Thanks!

Erik

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have a small crevice where the tongue and groove of the plywood comes together, is there an appropriate filler I can use in these areas that could then be covered with a final coat of epoxy?

Epoxy is actually a great filler. Just lay down a coat, sand/feather out, and repeat until the seam is gone.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Everyone,

Another quick update with a few questions.

I was scouring Craigslist this morning looking for everything that I didn't know I needed... :D

I happened upon a teak swim platform with boarding ladder to use on the back of the Chieftain. It's complete, solid, just a bit weathered looking from a lack of maintaince these past few years.

I began mocking up the platform on the back of the boat, it looks like it will be a great fit once I shave 1 1/4" off each side but I'm unsure what angle to mount it at relative the to transom. This boat was not kept in the water so there is no visable line of any type to work off of. Anyone here have a Chieftain or an Islander with a swim platform able to point me in the right direction? I'd hate to have to wait until Spring to find my waterline so I can mount the platform.

Sorry, no new pictures, I forgot to bring my camera out today. :redface:

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wish I could answer your waterline and canopy question but I'd pick up that platform and worry about mounting after you splash. That way you know it will be mounted accurately.
Nice progress!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmmmm, you ask a good question and have me thinking as well. I planned on building a swim platform over the winter but since I've never had my rig in the water I apparently have the same problem you do.

I suppose in my head I was thinking...

My transom is roughly 14 degrees so I'd just compensate for that and mount at 90 degrees. Though, I'm not so sure that 90 degrees would be to the water now. Huh. Glad I have some time to stew on this. Glad you posted that question too. Sorry I don't have a good answer for ya:redface:

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back again with an update and a slew of questions.

First some pictures of the swim platform:

DSC_0012.JPG

It's in pretty good shape considering it's probably +30 years old. It definitely needs to be oiled as it looks like its been neglected a few years but the wood is very solid and in great shape throughout. It came with the swim ladder and four of the eight mounts for attaching it to the boat. I'll need to build up some small 90? stainless brackets, luckily I have a small sheet of 10ga in the shop that should work perfect.

I think I'll be waiting to mount it until after I've had the boat in the water and drawn a good water line to work off of. So this most likely means I'll be waiting until Spring. Although with the new deck and cuddy wall in place I'm quickly approaching the stage where I could drop a gas tank back in and go for a "motivational" cruise down the canal. ;)

Now for the slew of questions.

First I need some advice on seats. I'm having the cushions in the cuddy refurbished with new bottom fabric and one new zipper, they're otherwise in good shape and will be reused. The two main seats however are in a bit rougher shape, they have torn upholstery, soft wood frames, etc, etc. I don't think they'll be worth refurbishing and I'm looking to replace with new. What are some good budget conscious seats I should be looking at? I'd like to stay as close to the original style as possible. I'm willing to pay for quality but cannot justify ~$300 a seat, $300 for the pair is doable.

Same question for the jump seats on either side of the doghouse/engine cover.

Now on to some electrical questions.

First, where do you recommend shopping for marine electrical? A quick list of what I'm looking for:

Dual battery setup with a way to isolate the starting battery and the accessory battery so I won't get stuck on the lake because I was listening to the radio all day, I want the alternator to charge both batteries.

Interior lighting, I want to setup the boat with lights in the upholstered sides so I can see what I'm doing later in the evening or for the times I'm spending a weekend on the boat. Ideally I'd like LED for reliability/efficiency but will look at all options. I also want to replace the two overhead lights in the cuddy as one is beyond repair and the other is in pretty rough condition.

A radio/stereo system. AM/FM and an auxiliary input are all I need. I'll be doing some research in this area but welcome any suggestions. I'm somewhat of an audiophile so I want what I install to sound reasonably good (keeping in mind it is a tin boat and not a concert hall of course). I've had good luck with JBL gear at home but have no idea how their marine gear (speakers) stack up, I'll be doing some research. Again, I want to do this on a budget, but if $400 is really $300 better than $100 I'll consider it. I'm hoping to spend $2-300.

(2) 12v accessory plugs on or near the dash, for phone chargers, portable lights, dancing Santa Claus, whatever... :)
Like these: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=71714&pdesc=12V_Outlet&aID=601S6&merchID=4006

Whatever fuse box(es) I'll need to make this all work safely. Ideally I'd like something that could be mounted into the cuddy wall opposite the dashboard so I would have easy access to the fuses from within the cuddy and have all my wires going into the area behind the dash where they could then be run wherever they need to go. I'd like +10 separate fuses so I'll be able to keep navigation and interior lights separate, and have plenty of space for accessory plugs, the radio, GPS, and whatever else I may add in the future.

Maybe this seems a tad overkill for a little tin boat but I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time so I don't go back to do a major revamp after a year.

Any and all advice is appreciated!