1971 18HP Fastwin tune up kit

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought tune up kit 18-5006, I think I was supposed to get 18-5002. What is the difference?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The capacitors ( condensers ) are slightly different.----Both will work on the 18 HP model.----I would use the 419 condensers.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I was in a shop one time where the owner told a couple of fellows that condensers " never fail "------These 2 fellows were obviously pestering him and picking his brain.----He wanted them to leave and politely said they don't fail.----I ordered some condensers from him and he said.----" no need to order them I have those in stock "----I tested condensers at one time and the trick is to put them in a warm oven for 1/2 hr and retesting them with a MERC-O-TRONIC analyzer.----They fail when warm.----They are not expensive and if they are more than 20 years old new ones are the ticket.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
When I tested my batch of old caps which all tested ok megohms wise...
they all failed when tested with the test box I recently built after reading the article from W.Mohat in the Outboarded magazine (AOMCI) .

All my new caps passed the high voltage test with flying colors (no fail) :)

That said , next Spring i'll probably revisit the half dozen oldies I sold to friends and offer them free check ups on their condensers while touching the points. my own hard starting 9.5 probably has bad condensers to seeing everything else was gone over twice.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Assumptions do not work.------Simple testing beats hard work every time.

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the points are the same, just the condensers are different? But also they will work? I am a little confused by the posts. I am working on a labor of love, I'm rebuilding my late Dad's outboard, so I don't want to mess it up. Should I just order the right condensers? I bought new condensers (18-5205) $10 thank you guys for all you do!!!

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??-----Both kits will work just fine.---Have the coils been replaced ?---Pictures of them ?---What other work / inspection are you prepared to do on this fine motor ??

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
??-----Both kits will work just fine.---Have the coils been replaced ?---Pictures of them ?---What other work / inspection are you prepared to do on this fine motor ??
Yes coils, points, condensers are being replaced, I only ordered 1 coil by mistake(bonehead)already replaced points .This motor has been rebuilt by me. The block was corroded, replaced head, rebuilt carb, new water pump, rebuilt lower unit, installed electric start. I can't believe how easy or I would have done it sooner but my Dad would be very happy
This engine has been in my family since, I guess 1971 (I'm 54) it has seen alot of use. I used to have another boat but went smaller, 14ft rowboat just like my Dad's. This engine is perfect for it. Sorry for the essay!!