1970's 85hp Johnson siezed

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've never owned a Johnson/Evinrude, but couldn't resist a local ad for a boat that needed way too much work with a stuck 85 Johnson. I contacted the guy and he bartered me the motor, controls, plastic fuel tank, and even a decent repair manual (not a Seloc or such either) for some duplicate tools that I haven't used in over 5 years. The serial number I believe is 85ESL-71E(?). The guy was pretty honest about what had been done to the motor and it's history. As the story goes, it ran fine at the lake a few years ago and put the boat into storage. He decided the boat needed too much work and listed it for sale. He discovered the motor was locked up and didn't want to mess with it. Before I just start with oil, diesel, hairspray, rotten milk, snake oils, and such to try to get the pistons free, is there something else that would all of a sudden sieze the motor? My dad automatically suggested a water pump, but I just can't see a little rubber wheel with fins locking up the driveshaft so tight. I believe its the hydro-shift model and wonder if that could be a culprit. I have very little knowledge of the system and some serious time learning about it if this could be my problem. Otherwise, the motor looks cared for and a little old.

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1970's 85hp Johnson siezed

The pistons are prob set up because of corrosion etc. Owner prob didn't winterize it. Get pistons free first. Then compression test to see if it's worth restoring.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

pull the spark-plugs out and take a look at them. Take some pictures and post them for us to see if there has been a water issue and or detonation problem. If they look new, I would be extra careful in making the decision to tackle it. If at all possible, take a flashlight with you and see if you can look inside cylinders and tell us what you saw!, Post yer results and good luck!

BonairII

Commander

Take some pictures and post them for us to see

It's 2011, it continues to amaze me at how many people there are that DON'T know how to take/post pics...or how to upload vid to youtube(this isn't directed at the OP btw...just a general statement). It's such a simple thing. It takes only a few minutes to learn how.
Pics and video would help everyone involved when trying to diagnose/fix problems.

I always post pics/video when possible. Just saying.

coolguy147

Commander

get the motor mounted first off so you can work on it

take the lower unit off to see if it's seized.

again, put oil into the spark plugs and try to tilt the motor up if possible.

we'll go from there later =)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Use a 50:50 mix of acetone and ATF poured into the cylinders with the motor facing downwards, let soak for three or four days, then try to turn it over. Dropping the LU isn't a bad idea, since it's possible, but not probable that the LU is seized.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I like the idea of pulling the drive first. Nice to know whether it is the problem or not. You will be wanting to put a new water pump impeller in your new engine anyway....

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I picked up since it was almost free for me. The plugs were out of it because the previous owner had started putting oil already in it. By the time I got back to the house, it was dark. Dark pics do nothing for troubleshooting... I work in the dark at locomotive repair facility, so I get to see alot of dark camera phone pics of parts that look more like the Rorschach test. I will get it unloaded hopefully today and get some pics up before I am off to work and pick up some acetone before the weekend. I figured it wouldn't hurt to pull the LU because I would like to see the condition of the impeller and I have to change it anyway if I can get the motor freed up. Do these drives default to forward when not running? I caught a tid bit of it in another post. I appreciate all the help so far.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it is an electronic shift, then yes default is forward!

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, a quick follow up... I picked up some penetrating oil from work that we use in the shop. I sprayed about 3/4 of a can of it between all four cylinders. I tried to get a decent look at the cylinders and pistons. Pretty much looks like average carbon build up on the tops of the pistons, but I really can not see the cylinder walls. The motor was laying on it's back when I started spraying the oil. About an hour or so later, I noticed what seemed to be alot of my penetrating oil all over the floor. I believe that it's coming out the carb. I'm pretty tired, so I quit for the day and will try to dig into it tomorrow before work again.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another update... I've been oiling the cylinders for about 6 days. I have a few questions though. I started removing the lower end and have removed 5 bolts. The lower leg will not come off. I do not want to do any damage to the leg, so I'm open to suggestions. The flywheel is still stuck but I do not feel like I can get enough leverage on it to see if I am making any progress. I will be getting a socket for the flywheel nut hopefully this evening. If someone knows what size that nut is, that would be helpful as well. I am seeing oil under the motor about an hour or so after I have been oiling it. Since it's laying on its back, I can't tell if its out the exhaust or out the carb... I'm hoping that I am making some progress.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I beleave the flywheel nut is 1 5/16". It would be better to use an automotive type flywheel turning tool, will have a little better leverage.
You removed 5 bolts on the lower unit, there are 6, did you remove the bolt under the trim tab? If it is an electric shift lower unit, make sure to pull a wire or something on the shift wires so you can pull them back up upon instulation.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice... I will see if one of my buddies has a flywheel tool. I got the four bolts that are easy to see. I got the 9/16" longer bolt just next to the trim tab. I can pull tab off tonight to see if there is a bolt under there. I will be sure to have some wire ready for guiding solenoid wires back.

Exotic4x4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beleive this or not its an old farmer trick take the plugs out and put coke a cola down the.cylinders and let it sit over night or a day, try turning the.flywheel nut w a wrench I've done this on 3 different occasions and its worked everytime