1970's 70hp, what is the hole for 2" below the grease level hole

jeep8589

Cadet
I have a 1970's chrysler 70hp OB engine. There are two holes with screws in the lower unit that are labeled for the gear oil. One says grease fill which is the lower and the other says grease level which is the upper. Right below the grease level hole which is at the top, there is a hole that is empty right now and is 2 inches below the grease level hole. When I was adjusting the trans cable moving the throttle lever into forward and reverse some milky looking grease came out of this unknow hole. What is this hole for and should it have a screw in it. I checked the lower unit oil and it looked fine with no water in it. The hole looks like it has threads. What gives??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1970's 70hp, what is the hole for 2" below the grease level hole

That could be the hole for the axle that the shifter fork turns on, Jeep. <br /><br />Sounds like it backed out and got lost. <br /><br />If that is correct, your shifter is now completely out of adjustment. You will need to replace it with the correct part, replace the gearcase oil and readjust the shifter.<br /><br />A modest investment in a Repair Manual will save you from future confusion.<br /><br />Good luck, and welcome to iboats. :)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

The hole is an exhaust port. When you see this put some on your finger and it should smell like gas and oil. When you idle a lot your motor burns rich and some of the gas and oil dont burn off. If lower unit oil is good and the motor runs good dont worry about it. You will notice it less if you mainly run at higher speeds. IF it takes a long time to get your boat landed because of traffic which forces you to idle a lot you will notice it more.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Here is a link to my lower unit which is only 45 HP. I believe what JB is mentioning is the pivot screw which is marked on this photo. lower unit photo <br /><br />If that screw is missing you will have problems. If you are talking about the smaller holes between the pivot screw and the fill screw then it is just the exhaust port and you are okay. Note the exhaust port holes are not marked in this photo. Mine has two one forward and one aft