1970 Mercury outboard With Mercontrol

Bleys19

Cadet
The problem is we don't have a mercontrol shifter box anymore.The box and shifter fall apart and the cable leading to the Mercury is breaking so what could i get to replace the Mercontrol shifter and wires and cable going to the Mercury for start up? Do i need to find a Old 1970 Mercontrol to fix this problem our can i use some shifter from today markets and adapt it into the Mercury engine with a adapter?<br />The Engine is a 1970 Mercury 50hp<br /><br />This site has a Mercontrol system like we have. I<br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERC...31283QQitemZ4643499785QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1970 Mercury outboard With Mercontrol

Yes the box will work, however there were 2 types of harnesses 1 for battery ign. and 1 for alternater driven ign. thats what you need. Y ou can tell the differance by the numbers bossed in the harness plugs so you either need your number to see if it matchs that plug in or will cross over to it or there number to see if it is for alternater ign.

Bleys19

Cadet

K, So if i get a Telefex side mount shifter would that come with a Harnesses for the engine already? Do i need to get Fitted Harness for both Driven ing/ Battery ing and would it work with that type of stifter. Do the Harness just go right into the new shifter our do we need to take apart and splice wires/ something? Do we buy the Harnesses and get a adapter for both sides? Just some more info on the Harness would be nice.

Laddies

Banned

No, you showed a mercontrol listed on ebay. A teleflex control will work but they don't come with harnesses. if you want to buy a new harness go to rapair.com but it must be the right plug in

Bleys19

Cadet

This right item i need for harness?<br /> http://outboardparts.com/mercury/mall/merchrnss.htm and click 1970/ 50hp and one harness in middle. seem to not be able to add a link right to that site for some reason<br /><br />Now how would i add that to a telefex side mount control shifter or another one like it? Does the Harness go right on the Control shifter are not possible to add that since with the Mercontrol it seems to be built into it.

ricksrster

Commander

That should be your harness. You'll notice that the new color for salmon is orange. They do the same thing. They hook up to the old Mercontrol key switch, choke and neutral safety switch. There is also a wire for the tach. I don't know if you can hook it up to a Teleflex because I don't know if Teleflex control cames with a key. You still can hook the harness to a dash mounted key with push choke, and mount the control serarately.

Bleys19

Cadet

so if i would get a new harness for the engine, any new Shifter boxes taht would work with that Harness and new shifter/throttle cables. Do i also need new Battery wires, I thought the Mercury Harness had them built in also?

ricksrster

Commander

Battery cables are attached to the harness. You need to purchase the shift and throttle cable seperately. Unless it is a mercury control you might have to buy adapters to fasten the cables to the control

Bleys19

Cadet

Any sites i can find Mercury Controls taht might work with what i have? I understand the shift and throttle and know what i need for that. The shifter/ Getting right one to fit with harness is what am having trouble with. I look up teleflex shifters.. and don't know how to tell what one will work or adapters website that you know off? Any suggestions

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

look at the old plug on the old cable it has a number on it. you need a controller compatible. you can buy use on ebay or call or email iboats and they will assist you. or even oldmercs.com may be able to help.

Bleys19

Cadet

I can't find a number on the old harness cable, i posted a website a few post up that has the harness on it. Don't know if that any help.

ricksrster

Commander

On that website you posted, the 414-2770 is the harness for inside the motor. The one that goes to the control is on the bottom of the page. It is 474-9550. The Mercontrol you posted from Ebay will work on your motor. The wiring harness looks good in the picture. You can ask the seller about the condition of the harnessThe Engine kill on both type of ignitions they used on your model motor stops the motor the same as the mercury tilt switch. The internal harness in the motor will be wired correctly.

ricksrster

Commander

A few things about the control on Ebay. The Ad says no key, you can't see the condition of the wiring really good, and the cables made not be the correct length for your boat. You can always relace the cables and the ignition. If you shop around you can find an external harness if your going to need one for less than that web site you posted.

Bleys19

Cadet

So am not sure if i want to buy that due to the no key, what type of condititon. etc. So if not buying that, what type of shifter should i buy to equip the harness from the engine and that needs to have a key right on the shifter?

ricksrster

Commander

Ask the seller about the condition of the wiring and how long the cables are.

ricksrster

Commander

I've personally have had very good luck on E-bay. The seller of the control has sold many things and has an excellent rating. Just asked him questions so you have more info before you bid.

Bleys19

Cadet

How should i go and get a new key for to get it started if i buy it?

Bleys19

Cadet

Rich, by looking at it hwo long do you think The main cables are sicne i havn't gotten a response from the seller yet on sizes and running out of time on the biding.

ricksrster

Commander

Can't tell by looking at the picture.