1970 Jupiter V 16' Restoration

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Starcraft club can I join ?

With ya bud! (in spirit, spirits? bacardi 151?)

You da man @ 11:30..ummm 10:30 for you!

Rickairmedic

Commander

:D:D Almost 11:40 here now nd coat number 2 is done .

DSCI0142.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCI0143.jpg
[/IMG]

The question is do I have enough left in me for the third and final coat :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

probably not old man..I bet you are fading fast...Aint no whippersnapper no more! :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Rick you know that you want to wake up in the morning and look at the 3 coats looking perfect:D Seriously, that's some nice work and I think you should crank out the third coat while you're at it.

Love the pond and rock garden:) Does that liner cover the entire area that's got the little rocks? For the $ you spent I'm assuming that is one large liner.

By the way that hull is one gorgeous piece of aluminum. The chines(is that the correct term? sponsons maybe?) on the underside look great...makes her look like she's tough enough to handle herself in any conditions:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Kev there may not be enough night left for a third coat . I laid number 2 on fairly heavy and I think the damp night air is gonna fight me for coat number 3 :D. I feel good though should have her painted up tomorrow night . Then I can work on the trailer for a couple days and let the paint set up before trying to flip her bck on the trailer .

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Hey Huron on the Pond itself theres a layer of roofing felt then a 21 Mil liner in 3 sections ( upper pond , stream and lower pond ) Then theres 2 layers of 12 Mil liner through all 3 no seams in those . outside the pond there are 3 layers of landscape fabric .

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok that makes 3 coats of primer on the bottom aaaaaaand 2 coats of white on the stripes and outer chines so far tonight :D. I am holding off on pics this time till I can pull the paper and tape off the sides :D.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok Kev almost 2AM and thats 3 coats of white on the stripes nd outer chines :D . Debating a 4th coat or pull the paper and tape and check her out :D.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok Kev you waited up long enough . I pulled the paper and 3M painters tape and pulled the Red up under half the tape :eek:. I will be able to fix it but heres some pics .

DSCI0144.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCI0145.jpg
[/IMG]

I think I am done for tonight to agravated to mess with her any more tonight .

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Wow rick, bummer about the stripes and your tape pulling the paint up. how long did you leave that tape on there? also you might have been better off with the green instead of the blue.

its amazing that you got your 3rd coat on and just barely after you fell asleep i was getting out of bed (4:30)...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ah Rick that sucks so bad!!! I HATE THAT DAMN TAPE!!!! I always have issues with that happening. When I painted my son's room I had a near catastrophy with the ceiling/wall joint when I pulled the tape off.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Unfortunately the tape was on there an extra day due to it raining all day day before yesterday ( which probably didnt help either). I am half tempted to call 3M and tell them they owe me for paint since their commercil clearly states ( pulls off clean no matter how long you leave it on ) . I guess its not really a huge setback I had planned to do 2 more coats of red anyways . I will just have to reverse tape it sand it and paint it and pull the tape all in the same day . I think I will go grab a roll of the green though just to be safe :D.

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Maybe post a question about the tape and see if anyone has any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again. And maybe do some test pieces to see how to remove the tape without damage.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ez I will just pick up a roll of the green Automotive tape . The funny part is the paint didnt lift where I had the fine line striping tape just the danged blue painters crap :D.

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great progress Rick, sorry about the tape fiasco. I am packing up for vacation and am currently living through your rebuild. Keep up the good work......Again, the pond is awesome. Thanks for the shot of the rivets.

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander

Keith no problem . I am going to let her sit today and then try to finish the bottom paint this evening at least . I think I will pop onto the trailer for a couple days after that then come back and wetsand the peeled areas and repaint them . The weird part is I looked at it today and the paint isnt loose at all other than what came off with the tape . I blame myself for not pulling the tape before it rained and then putting it back on when I got back to it . I was in a hurry to get things done and got lazy :D.I figure the tape got wet nd with the paint being fairly fresh under it the paint absorbed the water and then pulled off with the tape.

Rick

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, that makes sense. You wouldn't think the adhesive would intensify over an extra day to pull it off so it would have to be moisture to get trapped and weaken the paint. Still a bummer. How long do you need to let the paint cure until you can flip and trailer it?

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander

I figure I will give her a good week to cure before putting her back on the trailer . I think it will take thatlong to recarpet the bunks and paint the trailer and fix the paint fiasco on the boat anyways :D. I figure if I get the paint worked out this weekend I can have her back on the trailer next weekend and get to work topside .

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL, I will be watching the progress while on vacation.

Keith