1970 Johnson Ignition Problem

alleymize

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1970 40HP Johnson and had to wire the switch myself. I am pretty good with wiring and such and did it in the military. But I have a problem that when I turn the key to the on position the motor starts. But it should start when I turn it to the next position to the right and then the key come back to the on position to release the starter. I had to replace the ignition and bought a ignition switch for my version of motor but the letters on the back did not correspond. I am unsure as to which wire I need to switch to what position to get the starter on to the correct post. I have a switch that has 6 posts one being for the push to choke. Thanks for any help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Johnson Ignition Problem

The white wire that leads to the starter solenoid should be connected to the "S" terminal of the ignition switch.

Should you still have problems, we need to know exactly what color wires you have to connect to that switch.

I assume the switch has the terminals:

M = magneto
M = magneto
C = choke
A = Accessory
B = battery
S = solenoid

alleymize

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1970 Johnson Ignition Problem

That is the funny thing. There was no s label. I want to say it was a n or something so I put it on that one. I am almost certain it was a white wire. I will have to go to the boat and check the wire again to be sure.