1970 evinrude electric shift trouble part 2

catfishordie

Cadet
Ok im having trouble gettin to the shift wires that come out of the lower unit. So my question is. If i use a jumper wire directly to the green wire in the control box would that allow me 2 shift in neutral if everything in the lower unit is functioning properly? also would water in the gear oil make it not shift? thanks for any info

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1970 evinrude electric shift trouble part 2

Not sure I understand where you are wanting to put the jumper wire. But, the wires shouldn't be that difficult to get to. Yes, enough water in the lube will cause shift problems.

catfishordie

Cadet

im referring to hooking a jumper wire to the battery directly from the green wire in the control box. this should give me neutral if everything in the lower unit is functioning correct?

catfishordie

Cadet

dang 27 views and only 1 reply? somebody has got to know something lol

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Why not pull the solenoid and redo some wires? You do have the lower off right?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the lower unit on or off the mtr?

James R

Commander

With credits going to Joe Reeves. The motor must be running for the shift oil pump to be running. You must have the correct oil, OMC oil for electric shifts, in the lower unit. 12Volts to the green will give neutral, forward is no volts and volts to both wires is reverse.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Follow James R's advice above. It's right on.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Follow James R's advice above. It's right on.
Unless it's a 1970, 40 HP electric shift, which if that's the case it's exactly the wrong advice. The electra-matic gearcase has no oil pump and will break some expensive parts if power is applied to both the green and blue wires at the same time.

BUT, looking at his old threads it seems he may have a 60 HP Hydroelectric, in which case the advice is correct. depends on what you got.