1970 evinrude 85

geraba

Cadet
I recently aquired this 1970 Evinrude 85 from a guy at work. It has been sitting in his shed for 15 year or so he said. According to him it ran when he quit using it. I got it mounted up and picked up a new battery and gas. When I crank on the thing it does not fire but when you quit cranking and go back to igniton on the switch it will fire when it rotates beween compression. If you have it choked up and ready to run it will run back and forth between cylinders after you quit cranking. I jumped across the ignition switch thinking it was bad but it does the same thing. Does anybody have any idea's or ever seen this before that could give a direction to go with it? I took it to a shop and the cleaned up the points and made sure the ignition was cleaned up and they got it to fire only on 2 cylinders while cranking. They told me they weren't sure where to go with it and didn't want to put several hundered dollars worth ignition parts that still might not fix the problem. They did tell me that it had excelent compression on all 4 cylinders and they cleaned the carbs up. any help would be greatly appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 evinrude 85

No fire while cranking suggests low voltage to the amplifier input. Back and forth----? Suggests points. Did he gap them at exactly .009"? Also, there is an anti-reverse spring in there too, that is supposed to prevent it from trying to run backwards. Is it in there and in good condition? I hope he has the loop on the anti-reverse spring BETWEEN the metal tab and the plastic oiler wick holder. Some people try to put the metal tab THROUGH the loop. That won't work. Come to think of it, that may be the cause of both problems.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

After you do what F_R suggested and if it still doesn't work, look at the ampflier or the dist cap.

geraba

Cadet

Thanks for responding is there a way to test the amplifier or the distributor cap? Also when I say back and forth I'm talking about between compression of 2 cylinders if that makes sense

boobie

Supreme Mariner

To check the amplifier output you need a volt ohmmeter with a DVA adapter. The only ways I know how to test a dist cap is with an ohmmeter for continutity and a coil tester to power load it. Somebody else may have some better ideas.