1970 Evenrude 115 not starting!!!! HELP!!!

jklpengilly

Cadet
so let me give the run down on this boat i purchased about two years ago.

two years ago purchased a boat (1988 Bayliner Bass boat) that has a 1970 115 evenrude installed on it. motor has no start. no spark.

replaced spark control box, cap, rotor, made sure air gap was set correctly and reinstalled. motor ran pretty good last summer only ran it with muffs in drive way. has steering problems so never got on water last year.

this year corrected steering issures and when to take boat out and motor will not start, it will crank and spin very fast it seems to me. when you let off the key switch it will fire a few times. So I thought carbs and old gas. removed carbs and cleaned inspected and replaced needle and seats. did not find anything abnormal at that time. reinstalled and drained and filled with fresh gas. same thing. when it does fire ti only will barely run for maybee 3 sec max. there is white smoke coming from prop.

so tested compression again. #1 = 115psi #2 = 118psi #3 = 118psi #4 = 118psi. checked spark on all cylinders and have nice blue strong spark.

we tried to spray straight gas in to carbs while cranking and thats when I noticed a strange thing. the mist of gas is not getting sucked into carbs it just kind isnt doing anything. there should be some sort of sucktion at the carbs i do believe (i am a 10 year auto tech, not 100 percent familiar with 2 strokes) carbs are dry in the barrels so I thnk there is no suction pressure in crank case.

could my reed valves be the cause?

please help another summer is slipping by again.

thanks
:eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1970 Evenrude 115 not starting!!!! HELP!!!

when you let off the key switch it will fire a few times. faulty ignition switch.

jklpengilly

Cadet

well i actually thought this but....

i checked the power leads at the spark box when key is to run position and its fine. spark is present when cranking so its working then. it would start then die when released. so I am not thinking the ignition switch is the problem.

there must be something wrong with pressures or such in crankcase.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

fuel filter plugged? unscrew your drain screws and pump the bulb...see if you are getting gas past the fuel filter.

jklpengilly

Cadet

fuel filter is fine, there is a clear glass one inline with fuel line. also there is a screen in the pump on side of motor. both are good.

like i said before there is no suction in the carbs, when the engine is being cranked I can spray a find mist of fuel in front of carb and the motor is not sucking in air or fuel.

but compression is good, didnt do a leak down test yet but I suspect that is ok also as it was last year.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

No suction, bad reeds???? Pull the cover and look at them.

jklpengilly

Cadet

added boysen reeds, cleaned everything I could and nothing.

broke down and talked to a boat mechanic he said that if there is no vacuum to the carbs (not sucking through) then the crank seal either top or bottom has expired.

he went into this drawn out explination of why crank seals would do this but can someone else expain this to me.

after he said that I went out and looked and I noticed some fuel oil residue around top of motor under flywheel, and fuel and oil all round bottom of motor.