1970 55 hp chrystler 557ha shifting ?????

timbecht

Seaman
i have a 1970 55 hp Chrysler 557ha motor runs like new but stuck in forward and help on things i can try to get it shifting right

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1970 55 hp chrystler 557ha shifting ?????

Any history concerning this might help. Did it shift fine then quit. Did it run rough so you had to throw it into gear in order to keep motor running? Did you recently drain the lower unit and accidentally remove the shift screw instead of the drain plug screw?

timbecht

Seaman

i dont know i just bought boat and havent had time to mess with motor just getting to the motor and need info on things to check and try to see if i can fix it before i take it to a shop

timbecht

Seaman

any one with any advice on things to check

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I want to guess the pivot screw was removed by mistake and because of it the shifter is not working correctly. You will have to remove the lower unit from the motor either way. The motor leg should have six bolts and nuts holding the covers on. When you remove these you should see a long nut looking thing with a lock nut connecting the upper and lower shift rods together. Remove the bolts and nuts holding the lower unit to the motor leg but leave one barely holding on. That shift coupler has reversed threads on one side and standard threads on the other side. loosen it till the lower unit starts going down on its own. You will get to a point where you have to remove the last bolt and nut holding the lower unit onto the motor leg and keep turning the shift coupler till the lower unit separates.

Try lifting up and down on the shift linkage to see if you can make the prop change directions when turning the driveshaft clockwise. If the linkage comes out of the lower unit or moves more then an inch or so it has been separated from the pivot screw and will have to be completely dis assembled. Not real hard but you will need a service manual to do this.