1970 33hp waterpump

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
I went to change the impeller the other day, old one still pumps good but figured it was time to change to new one before speck season got in full swing.
Who ever changed the impeller out last time used permatex to seal the housing to the plate.
I can remove the 3 screws that hold the housing without any problem but I can not manage to get the housing off.
Is there any type of chemical that can be used to soften the permatex so I can get the housing removed?
I do not want to destroy the housing if at all possible. If I cannot get it removed then the only solution I see is order a new housing and break the old one to get it removed.
Thanks for the replies,WAV.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 33hp waterpump

Acetone should dissolve it. Scotch Grip 847 solvent is methyl ethyl ketone.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

People do some dumb stuff, huh?

I would take a single edge razor blade and run it around the housing at the joint between that and the base plate, a few times. If you hold the blade in a horizontal position, you should cut into the Permatex a little at a time until you either break the bond, or weaken it enough to pry the housing up. Since the housing is aluminum and the base plate is stainless, angle the blade slightly downwards to avoid cutting into the aluminum.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol will remove Permatex while it is still fresh. Good way to get it off your hands. Having said that, I don't know if it will soften or remove old dried-up stuff.