1969 MFG Edinboro

Merrimanr

Recruit
I posted a couple questions on the larger forum and it was suggested that I post more photos to the MFG form. I purchased this boat from a young fellow in Cleveland in 2006 as we wanted a small boat to navigate a chain of lakes near Six Lakes, MI.

The boat was in fine shape and I work hard to keep it so. I have replaced the old steel gas tank and thottle cable, but all else is original. I need to figure out how to recover the bimini top frame (I need the just the fabric) and the best hull cleaner to remove the scale. I have half of the orignal cover, but there is an Amish craftman that I am trying to line up to create a better cover that will snap in place like the original. Seat covers are also on the list. I am glad that there are so many MFG owners still out there.

MFG Boat at Six Lakes 7-08.jpgMFG Edinboro 1969  -  Bob's Boat  E.jpgMFG Edinboro 1969  -  Bob's Boat  F.jpgMFG Edinboro 1969  Brochure.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 MFG Edinboro

Welcome aboard !
Do you have all the frame work for the top? Maybe you can bring it bye the Amish guy's shop and build one . Maybe he could hook you up with one of those cool heaters too .;) Your boat looks great i love the dual trumpet horn ..You have the original steering wheel also. I could sure use one of those! Is that an 85 o/b ? My 64 is rated for an 85 hrs and I am installing an 85 force 3 cyl with power trim and was concerned about the stern sitting low . It looks like yours is sitting nice and level in the water. Sorry I couldn't be more help !
See ya S.P.

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are fortunate to find an old MFG in such fine condition. You have a great starting point there!

Cosmetically it looks very good. My main concern would be the transom. Make sure it is still solid. Look at your engine mounting for any evidence of "crush". See if the clamps or mount bolts seem to be distorting the fiberglass. Note any weepage of water around the mountings, a sure sign of a waterlogged transom.

My 61 Oxfords' transom was "rotten to the core" as they say and had to be replaced. The plywood inside looked like mulch.

The best thing for your fiberglass gelcoat is to buff it with a fine polishing compound. Then wax with a high quality paste wax. Careful mechanical buffing is the way to go.

Good luck with it! I'm sure you will have many hours of fun with the old girl. :)

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Two suggestions...power wash with a mild auto soap for the scale. be careful not to "dig" into the gelcoat with the washer. Keep a low angle to remove the scale, but not the paint.
Also, keep her out of the sun during storage. The UV REALLY eats the gelcoat up.
As far as the seat covers, if you are up to doing it, or know of a good upolstery repair shop, you can by the vinyl for the seats, there are several MFG posts for that. Check with SteveMFG, and Jon Sob.

Merrimanr

Recruit

Yes, I really like the dual trumpet horns. I actually took apart the air plunger the reoiled the leather plunger and restored the air pressure delivering an authoritative pitch. :) The 85 hp runs great, but I would really like a trin/tilt. This would involve a lot of effort. Maybe some day. You have to watch sand bars and low spots. Know your lake!! I have learned the hard way.......

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually use my fish finder way more for depth than fish...banged upo aa prop pretty good here on some of these rocky lakes...