1969 Merc 110 Spark Issue

Ru4rusty2

Cadet
Just got this motor and i used spark plug tester and got no spark. but when i connect the tester to the plug wire and to engines ground i get spark.What would be the cause of this?
Any help would be Great.
Thanks
Chris

Kiekhaefer 1969 Merc 110 9.8hp
Compression is 120 on both cyl.
cleaned carbs
Serial No. 2708662

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1969 Merc 110 Spark Issue

The tester has to be connected to the plug wire and ground to work, I am not sure what your saying or if you have a problem

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't know what type of tester you've got, but usually a good one will go in series with the plug ... a boot goes over the lead from the coil and the other boot goes over the plug top - crank it over and you should get a bright purple/pink flash. Make sure no engine kill circuits are activated. MacTools sells a good tester. NAPA has one too.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If the plugs are not set correctly or are the wrong ones for the motor could be your trouble. Also depending on the gap of the points of the tester could cause trouble if to great. If you take the plugs out of the motor and leave them in the coil wires and ground them with a pice of wire to a good ground on the motor , you can watch the spark on each plug as the motor is turned over faster . Both plugs should fire with a bright blue/white flash. JMO
Oldman570

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

If the plugs are not set correctly or are the wrong ones for the motor could be your trouble. Also depending on the gap of the points of the tester could cause trouble if to great. If you take the plugs out of the motor and leave them in the coil wires and ground them with a pice of wire to a good ground on the motor , you can watch the spark on each plug as the motor is turned over faster . Both plugs should fire with a bright blue/white flash. JMO
Oldman570

Yup! Good one!!

79Glastron

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not a big fan of that type of spark tester. I would rather have a tester where you can actually see the spark. A 3/8" to 1/2" gap equals about .025" under compression. If the motor does not run I would pull the flywheel and inspect the points.

M

Maxz695

Take a pair of rubber handle channel locks needle nose or something of that sort and pull the plug. Then inset it into the plug wire. Now hold the plug wire with the needle nose,or the like and the plug end 1/2 inch away from any ground and have someone turn the key. It is best to remove all the plugs. Have them hooked into there wires when doing this for battery saving reasons. Test each plug in this manner and you should have a gap jump of the 1/2 inch. If the spark does not jump the gap and you ground the plug direct to the spark plug hole and see a weak orange spark from the plug lug to the plug electrode. *Edit (This info is for other redears with different type engines) < The switchbox if it is a two stroke or on a 4 stroke point gap or pick up coil in a distributor is either shot or needs adjustment>. Test all plugs the same way. If even one doesn,t pass this test you have problems in the sending of current in the electrical system .

Laddies

Banned

Maxz, this is a 2 cyl engine with a magneto ign. So WTH are you talking about.

Laddies

Banned

On your 9.8 magneto if you don't have a good spark gapper just cut the ground electrode off a conventional spark plug and insert it in the plug wire and ground and if it jumps the gap with a good blue spark the engines magneto is good.

M

Maxz695

On any engine whatever the size the spark should jump 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If not there is an electrical issue thats all. This goes for any engine of any size that uses a spark plug. Simple my freind. People that read a post trying to find how to test a plug have information I posted helping them as well as this guy do a simple test. Then check for other issues. If your a supreem being on a 9.8 then this should be an easy hey gap it check it. That doesn,t seem to be the issue in 9 posts. Its a simple spark test and no BS new fangled tool or proceedures need to be made it is a simple test for SPARK! I do appreciate you telling him to cut the gap ground off to allow for the spark to jump though thanks Laddies That is an essential aspect for proper testing, but even a profesional like you should know that if the spark plug lug isn,t grounded the spark will jump to the nearest ground and therefore you just destroyed a good plug for testing. My BUHW OR BUHW-2 do not have the adjustable gap but still jump over to a 1/4 inch gap to any near ground as long as the lug is not grounded. I did have to come back and edit this as it is imperative information EDITED in last post "Test each plug in this manner and you should have a gap of spark fire of 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If the spark does not jump the gap and you ground the plug direct to the plug hole and see a weak orange spark from the plug center to the plug lug or no spark at all. then you have electrical issues.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

That year of 9.8 motor was bad about the wires from the points going to the coils having insulation go brittle and cause trouble. Do Not mess with the points setting as they are maker points an very seldom cause trouble. If you have a volt ohm meter you can set it for 100X ohms and disconect the wires from the points to the coils at the coils and test them for any brakedown as you turn the motor over by hand. When the points make they send gruond to the coils and not voltage. They should only show ground for a short time as the piston is at or very near TDC for each cyclender. If those wires have not been replaced, along with the nylon spacer mount for them under the flywheel, could be what is causing the trouble. A good manual for that motor is almost a nessitty when working on them. You must remmber that the points only pass ground thru them and no voltage as most motors do. Thus the points do not pit/burn as one would think. If any of the wires have brittle insulation that is falling off, they should be replaced. The kill button opens the path to ground for the points and kills the motor when pushed and supplies ground all the time otherwise. As i say a good manual and reading it several times will get the motor running. You will need to test the coils with a V/O meter also to be sure they are not causing trouble. The points and coils are very costly if you can find them. A web serch of Old Mercs.com will get you the wires and other parts not found elsewhere. JMO
Oldman570

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

This motor is NOT CDI - there is not switchbox.

It is NOT the Phasemaker ignition with maker points.

CDI and Phasemaker both have coils mounted OUTSIDE of the flywheel on the block. As you can see in the photos - there are no visible coils!

This is a simple magneto ignition - basic points, coils, condensers. The only wires that typically have issues on these mags is the shorting switch wires.

The points must be SPOTLESS and gapped at .018". Condensers on the Phelon magnetos can be troublesome. New ones are available. The coils USUALLY are good if they're not cracked or otherwise visibly damaged. New points are available.

Laddies

Banned

Maxz, Tried to ignore your Bump as it's hardly worth the effort but if you had any practical experience or a manual you would not continual give advice that makes you look like a fool.

M

Maxz695

Welcome to the ignore list laddies. Guess what you the only one on it. I,m not going to feed into your continued attacks and disruption twisting posts and turning them into a boxing ring. Have a great day. :) Feel free to ignore me as well and just maybe someone might actually be able to read what was posted not your spewing. By the way I thought you said you where leaving this site but like everything from you it,s just BS

Laddies

Banned

Maxx, I am not the one who has to go back and change what I said in prior posts to correct mistakes in them that's you. If correcting your wrong advice is twist it so be it. You are right I did say I was leaving this site but came back I did not know I needed your permission and as far as my posts being BS, that's just more of your foolishness. Hope you have a nice day!

Ru4rusty2

Cadet

This motor is NOT CDI - there is not switchbox.

It is NOT the Phasemaker ignition with maker points.

CDI and Phasemaker both have coils mounted OUTSIDE of the flywheel on the block. As you can see in the photos - there are no visible coils!

This is a simple magneto ignition - basic points, coils, condensers. The only wires that typically have issues on these mags is the shorting switch wires.

The points must be SPOTLESS and gapped at .018". Condensers on the Phelon magnetos can be troublesome. New ones are available. The coils USUALLY are good if they're not cracked or otherwise visibly damaged. New points are available.

Thanks for the info heres a pic of what i found. No wonder its not sparking

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/shroometoons/Coils_zpsb5383ce2.jpg

Thanks Again
Chris

M

Maxz695

Looks like you lost the grounds try cleaning them up before repalcing any parts. If you need replacement parts this guy says he has alot of vintage stuff and you can write him to inquire for your set up. Just trying to help http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiekhaefer-..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item3a7113b818&vxp=mtr good price too! Make an offer he can,t refuse ;) This is for a 350 1964 thru 1966 and may not be right but like I said write for what he might have for you. GOOD LUCK