1969 Johnson 40 HP - Funky Carb Problem Again!

The carb seems to be feeding the engine too much fuel. When take the bolt on the bottom of the carb out, fuel leaks out but the engine runs great. I replaced the float, and its still happening. Could it be the needle valve? Do you have to adjust these? What is going on?

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1969 Johnson 40 HP - Funky Carb Problem Again!

Did you adjust the float to be level with the carb when it is upside down? May be letting too much fuel into bowl. High speed needle needs to turned out 3/4 turn after lightly seating it closed and idle slow speed needle needs to be turned ou 1 1/2 turns after lightly seating it closed. Try that and see what happens. Let us know.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

There is no High Speed needle on these engines since about 1962. and the float is adjusted so when the carb body is inverted, the closest surface of the float is Parallel to the gasket surface of the carb

The new floats make it impossible not to put them in incorrectly. The float seems to be designed so it stops in the up position paralell to the gasket. And there is no high speed needle, just a low speed. I am still thinking that it's the needle. I did replace the fuel pump awhile back. Could they have sold me the wrong fuel pump? To much flow? The new fuel pump does look identical to the old one.