1969 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp fuel problem

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice
I bought this beautiful motor last summer on ebay. After having it out about 4 times (operating flawlessly each time), it would start to bog down when I tried to go (of course it had to happen when I took my wife and child for their first ride). It would start fine and idle ok but any time I tried to go with any speed it acted like it was getting too much or not enough gas. While trying to go wide open, it would periodically speed up and run normal for a second or two and then bog down again.

Now, here it is Spring and I'm ready to get this thing running right. I'm pretty inexperienced, so I wonder if you guys could give me some trouble-shooting tips. I have the Seloc manual and purchased a carb rebuild kit over the winter. I'm wondering if its the fuel pump or the carburetor and how to find out (along with any other possible causes).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Dan

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1969 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp fuel problem

It really sounds like the carb needs rebuilt, but I'd check the spark first.

jbjennings

Captain

I personally am thinking you have a problem with spark on one cylinder and not a fuel problem, especially since it's been running fine.
I'd get some rubber gloves or a pair of insulated pliers and while the motor is idling, I'd pull each plug wire off the plug. If you pull a wire and it dies, then spark on the other plug is the problem. I'd look in the top secret section and find the coils/points thread. It has the same ignition as your motor. It will show you how to change a coil or set your points. It could be you just need to regap and clean/resurface your points.
Good luck,
JBJ

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

I just ordered the service manual (I'm not too fond of the Seloc manual I have) for my motor and I'm going to try each of the suggestions. That top secret post is very helpful too. I'll post how it goes, though it may take a while with my time constraints.

Thanks a lot!

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

I'd get some rubber gloves or a pair of insulated pliers and while the motor is idling, I'd pull each plug wire off the plug. If you pull a wire and it dies, then spark on the other plug is the problem.JBJ

I was able to start it today in a tank and it ran rough but I could keep it running. As suggested above, I pulled each plug wire off individually and it didn't die. So, its on to checking the pump/filter and rebuilding the carburetor.

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

I rebuilt the carburetor and took it for a spin tonight on a lake after running it in a tank for awhile. Its doing the same thing. After starting right up, I let it run for a little while (it was running a wee bit rough) and then gradually opened her up. It acted like it wanted to go, surging up to speed and then bogging down over and over again. I shut her down, had a beer and watched the sunset. On my way back, the best way to describe it was labored, acting like it could have been missing. I plan on buying a spark tester soon. I'm kind of dreading pulling the fly wheel but I guess I may have to. That top secret file will definitely help me out. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

EARLS BOAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had a 1969 20hp that did the same thing. my problem turned out to be a coil going bad but was still firing most of the time. i guess they break down over time. the spark tester might pin point which coil it is, if that is the problem. if you have to pull the flywheel and you have the funds it would not be a bad idea to replace both coils,condensers, and contacts.

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Earl's Boat. I also have a 61 Fastwin 18hp with what I think are relatively new coils; does anyone know if the coils interchangeable?

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I can't get the dang fly wheel off! I have new points and condensers sitting on my work bench waiting. I screwed in a harmonic balancer puller good and tight but it wont budge. I sprayed penetrating oil in the center. I've tried hitting the top of the puller with a hammer while prying with a bar. Should I try heating it and will that damage the coils? Right now I've got the puller still on, hoping it might magically pop off in the night. My father-in-law helped me and he says its the worst he's ever seen (he's never worked on an outboard though). We figure its probably never been off in its 40 year life. Any advice on something else to try? Thanks!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

All the coils are interchangable from around the early 50's to the early 70's. From 3hp to the 40hp's. There's a reason it's called the universal magneto!

The flywheel will come off. Keep tightening it. It might be hard but keep going. And then when it pops, you'll think you broke everything but it will be fine. Some are tough. Keep turning it. Try an impact some say. But don't use heat as it's bad for all your important parts inside.... Keep turning it!

Oh, and don't pry with a bar either. The flywheels are fragile!

Are you using grade 8 bolts on the flywheel? The 1/4"-20 I believe they are... They're the strong ones you need.

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

With the help of a friend, i got the flywheel off. We actually did have to lightly pry it off from opposite angles with the puller off.

The coils look brand new, but the points were definitely corroded. i replaced them along with the condensers. Now, when i turn the flywheel (by hand) I'm getting good spark on one but not the other. I'm currently playing with the gap adjustment (it doesn't seem to be holding its setting).

The points and condensers came with two spongy things and two small clear capsules filled with what looks like grease. What do I do with these?

Thanks, I think I'm almost there!!!!

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

You can probably tell by now that I'm a novice. Do I have to have the "special tool" talked about in my owners manual to adjust the points the right way? The top secret file doesn't talk about this final step. Everything is good to go otherwise (I hope). Times like these I sure wish my dad was still around! Thanks to everyone for the help.

jbjennings

Captain

The special tool for setting the points is called a "feeler gauge" and looks like a pocket knife that's packed with about 100 very thin blades. they only cost a few dollars at any auto parts store. You should select the blade that is .020" thick and set the points with it. Make sure those points are spotlessly clean without even a fingerprint.
Good luck,
JBJ

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a feeler gauge, but every time i put the flywheel back on and give it a couple spins, I get spark on one, not on the other. When i take the wheel off, one set of points is closed and the other is wide open (more than the specified .020). The special tool looks like it screws on the crank shaft and is used to set the timing. It feels like I'm missing a step. I'm assuming I need to somehow turn it until the points close and then set the gap?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

With the flywheel off you want to rotate the crankshaft and cam around until the woodruff key is aligned with the rubbing block on the set of points that you want to adjust. (unless your cam has an area marked "set" in which case you align that with the rubbing block instead). Then once you're done with that set, rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees until the other points rubbing block is aligned and then adjust that set. I like to just do my adjustments through the flywheel window. For me it's just easier that way ymmv.

In either case you want to see if you have any play in the upper main bearing (side to side movement of the flywheel) you'll find that any movement can change your points setting by a couple of thousandths. All you can do is split the difference and set them in the middle.

Cheers.................Todd

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, like Todd says, but an easier way to understand is turn the crankshaft by hand until one set of points open to the biggest gap, now set that gap to .020, then turn until the other set of points starts to open, you'll see the fat part of the cam hitting the points when it should be open the farthest. It is tricky to get the screw tight without moving the points adjustment, so check again after tightening and try again if needed, be patient on this. I also had a problem running similar to what you described and it wound up being a sinking carb float, the rebuild kits don't usually come with a float. If yours is the old cork one, replace it with plastic.

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try tonight.

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, here is what I've done so far in order:

1. replaced fuel line and fittings from tank to engine.
2. rebuilt carburetor
3. replaced plugs
4. replaced condensers and points (appeared bad)
5. replaced both coils

I tested for spark w/ a spark tester and am getting 1/4" spark jump on both. I took it out tonight and it starts great, idles great, and trolls great. But, when I go full throttle, it surges forward like it wants to take off and then settles down to maybe 3/4 of where it should be (not planing the boat). Its not bogging down like when I started, but its definitely not going full speed. While going, I squeezed the primer bulb but it made no difference. I choked it for a while, thinking it might make difference, nope. I shut it off, took the cover off, and started it back up. With the cover, it seemed to achieve a slightly higher speed.

So here I am again asking for help. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to address this. I'm sure learning a lot!