1969 40 HP Johnson Outboard - Adjusting the Carb Float/Needle Seat

I replaced the float and seat and needle, but seems like I need another 2 mm to have the needle seat against the brass fitting when the float is horizontal. Does anyone bend the float shaft a hair to make the float needle seat properly? the engines seems to be flooding.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 40 HP Johnson Outboard - Adjusting the Carb Float/Needle Seat

Assuming you have the correct float needle valve assembly. The float level is adjusted by slightly bending the flat portion of the float hinge.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

I think thats the problem, I will try this out. The needle and seat that I ordered are identical to the old one. The new float on the other hand is different because its not corque, and it appears to be a little smaller in size. Did they overhaul the float design? The hole in the middle of the float does not center with middle part of the carb, however the hold corque one did.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Yes, they replaced the cork with new material. My cork one just came to pieces this weekend. :(

lindy46

Captain

Did you install the plastic washer before putting the brass needle seat in place?

yes, I installed the plastic washer and tightened the brass seat. Do I have to back the seat off?

lindy46

Captain

No, leave it tight.