1969 115hp Evinrude no start scenario

GLT

Cadet
Re: 1969 115hp Evinrude no start scenario

My Seloc manual has the same information for 1969 85 hp and the 115 hp. They are both the same except for maybe the bore. Is it possible you have something other than 69.

sullybeav

Cadet

Model #115983S which in book indicates a electronic ignition 115hp motor, if you have something else i would be very interested.... I am going to disassembled the components tonight and clean and or replace all contact point wiring to hopefully find my problem because I believe the pulse pack is recieving the signal from the distributor (hence the ticking) and for some reason is not cleanly firing the coil.

Boatnik70

Cadet

Underneath the flywheel you should find the black distributor cap, with the four plug wires and the coil wire connected to it. If you raise this and set it aside, and then remove the rotor (with wave washer on top of it), you should see the breaker plate and two sets of contact points. Is this not what you have? The ignition might be described as "electronic", but it's still "triggered" by two sets of contact points. It's just that they don't have any high voltage going through them, so are not susceptible to arcing and erosion.

GLT

Cadet

sullybeav, I looked deeper into my manual and on these forums to find how wrong I am.
Atleast originnaly the 69 115hp had a sensor rotor and a sensor underneath the distributor to trigger the coil and not contact points. There is some conversation of conversions where some were switched over to a contact points because of some failure.
You still might dig deeper into forums and elsewhere about useing an automotive coil. There alot cheaper and easier to find than those amps.

sullybeav

Cadet

******UPDATE******

still no start, i did discover something however, after purchasing the original service manual off ebay, it appears that I may have the wrong plugs in the motor. It has a plug with what I would term as the standard automotive electrode, whereas the plugs the book calls for are the surface gap variety. Does anyone thing this would cause my problem?

Thanks again all.