1968 Penn Yan Build Prop question Mercruiser 160

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice
Well first the good news. After new floors, carpet, lower unitl impeller, and some wiring, i FINALLY got the 68 Penn Yan Explorer splashed!

The oil on Pre splash test run was total nasty brown sledge, but that will be in another post.

So I took the boat out to Skilak lake in Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula. It was beautiful. During an evening run however, i had two rather significant prop/lower unit strikes, We were quite far off shore, so the first one I was very confused and thought it may have been a log,.. After the second hit I headed deep and back to out awesome campsite. There was some damage,. CRAP.

The prop was messed up bad. I will post pics later. One blade was rolled about an inch, the other two blades, that section was missing altogether.

The lower unit lost about an inch or two off the bottom. I was lucky and had another lower pitch "spare" prop i was able to change. I am wondering first of all what prop (cruise/speed) i could put on as a replacement. With the current one it is vibrating a little more and the top speed is about 24-25 kts. I am also wondering if i could have bent anything major? it seems like the aluminum parts sheared and took the force of the impact, but i don't know.

I would appreciate any suggestions. thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... What is the pitch of the busted prop that worked so well,..??

Probably oughta get another copy of the same prop,....

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice
It was a 17P. I am actually surprised. The current one is a 21P. I was thinking 19 might be best? first number is 48. That is not diameter is it? I am not sure what that is.