1968 Johnson 55 HP stuck in forward

aaromba

Cadet
Model TRL-10R hydro electric shift. Question. The shift worked when I bought it. I took the lower unit off to replace water pump. I had trouble pulling wires down through. so I started to take off the cover for the shift solenoids, lifted it about an inch and said bad idea and bolted it back down. Put unit all back together and it runs in forward constantly. Took lower unit off again and pulled solenoids all the way out , at the bottom there is a little plunger that snaps into the rod that goes through the solenoids, I am thinking I am not getting this in place properly, would this cause a full time forward? How do I get that plunger back in place, its in a position that is impossible to see down in there. I have even drained and replaced the oil with type C. I have read a lot on here and got lots of great info from the guys out here. I checked voltage on the wires (blue and Green) Neutral has voltage on 1 wire (blue), reverse has voltage on both, and forward has none if I remember corectly. Also to let you know I did rewire the motor, the shift did work before the rewire job. The wires were falling apart but I beleive the blue and green are the only 2 wires involved and the do not split off and connect somewhere else??????? The guy I bought it from thought we was taking me on it, becasue it had a miss and didnt idle right, once I rewired the motor it purrs like a kitten. I just need to fix this last problem help!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1968 Johnson 55 HP stuck in forward

the solenoid rod have to go in certain places, to activate the lever that controls the oil flow, that shifts the lower unit. lifting the solenoids, dislodged their placement.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Your voltages are incorrect. Should be:
Neutral: green
Reverse: blue and green
Forward: none

Voltages should be checked with wires connected.

If you got the solenoids in and the plungers are approximately flush with the top of the solenoid body, they are probably ok.

I'm sure you know this, but I have to ask anyway-you do know that the motor has to be running before it will shift, right?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

and you are using Premium Blend Type C lower unit oil.

aaromba

Cadet

Thanks, Yes I am using type C oil and I did read it must be runnning for neutral. I know the questions have to asked sometimes its the stupid things that bite us. I will try again on the solenoids, I am guessing that has to be it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

NO, the solenoids don't have to be it. In fact that is probably the least likely to be the problem as long as the plungers align as I said. Get those voltages right, and go from there.

You can use a jumper wire directly from the battery + post to the green wire going to the lower unit and it should go into neutral (running). Connect the jumper to both the green and blue and it should go into reverse. If it does those things, the lower unit, including the solenoids, is just fine.

aaromba

Cadet

Ok my mistake on the voltages on the wires, they were as you say vice and thanks. My own stupidity and knowing that I should have known better I broke the brass shaft on the solenoid assembly. Any ideas where I can get the shaft or the whole assembly??? I would rather not try to make one not knowing all the exact dimensions. Unlees some one out there has the dimensional information. Thanks for your help it is much appreciated!! as well as everyone elses inputs. you guys are great!!