1968 Evinrude 18 hp hard to pull start

reelfishin

Captain
Re: 1968 Evinrude 18 hp hard to pull start

Re: "the starter itself has the bracket on it that the pulley attaches to."

I looked up both an engine with and without electric start, the port side bracket is different and appears to hold the electric starter in place.
My best bet will be to find a slightly later motor that can donate the starter, solenoid and bracket. The wiring and switch I can make up or may even have one here I can use.

I do see your point about the added rope adding leverage, the rope on the pully here barely extends halfway. If it were full, I would have more leverage over the compression.

I have several sizes of recoil rope here, I'll just cut and tie up one that's 72 1/4" long. There isn't any dealers near by at all, the closest is over an hour from me.

Re: Some Chryslers/Force motors had the type of recoil that you are describing.

Do you mean that someone could have used a Chrysler/Force starter on the 25? I would be more apt to believe that someone either replaced it with a different powerhead, (and it's not really a 25HP?) or it began life as an electric start motor and someone retro fit either another motors side mount recoil or one from another model? I was looking at the one on my 9.5, and it don't look as large as the one on the 25HP, the only other motor I can see by searching the parts catalog that used the side mount starter was the early 50HP's. I haven't ever seen one of those up close, so I have no idea how similar that powerhead is to the 25HP. What ever that recoil is, it's definitely made to fit that block, the holes are drilled round, and the bracket lines up perfect with all the mounting bolts. I was sort of wondering if someone over the years didn't make a recoil replacement for an electric starter? The bracket looks to be the same as the one listed for a 25HP with electric start. The rope starter even uses a metal starter drive or bendix like an electric starter. (If you look quick from the top and don't see the rope wrapped around the barrel of the the recoil, you might assume it to be an electric starter sitting there. On the 25HP, the powerhead, pan, cover and mid and lower units are all freshly repainted in bright white, but the recoil and the ignition parts are the only parts not painted under the hood. It runs so well and is super strong for a 25HP, so I never gave it much thought. It actually runs as well or better than my 30HP, but I just figured that was simply due to it's lower weight. It's about half the weight or less than the 30HP.
What other 2 cylinder powerheads would fit onto the 25 mid section?
(the mid section and bracket look correct for a 25 hp, and the prop I bought for the 25 hp was correct, so I don't doubt that the lower is all 25HP parts, but I now sort of question the power head? It does look a lot like the 18HP powerhead though.

reelfishin

Captain

I replaced the rope with one of proper length today, as well as completely took apart the recoil again a lubed everything with some super slippery synthetic grease, it didn't look worn anywhere, and it seems to work fine. The motor pulls A LOT easier, but it's still a good bit harder than my 25HP or any other motors.
The added leverage made it tolerable. I did rotate the pulley 180 degrees and that does make a difference for some reason.
I also added a few winds to the recoil spring too. It hasn't done the kick back thing yet with the new rope and new lube.

I am still stumped on what I have here that's labeled a 25HP now, unless it's an electric start power head and bracket with some sort of aftermarket recoil conversion on it?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Have you checked the gearcase for burned oil, or metal shaving's. A binding gearcase would make the engine pull hard.

strikeback03

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 72 Johnson 25 and a 77 Evinrude 25 currently. Both use the top-mount recoil. Can't say how the 72 works (electric start, and the recoil return spring is broken, bought it that way) but the 77 isn't too hard to pull at all. Certainly don't need 2 hands or to brace a foot on it or anything.

gejandsons

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Filling the rope spool will give you more of a mechanical advantage.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The 18,20, and 25 share basic powerheads and the rest of the motor also (including recoil starters). The 50hp is worlds different. Sure wish you would supply some pictures before we all lose interest.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

F R
This man is not going to listen to anything we say. Let him dance with the rope lenght, rope diameter, grease the rewind, Let's see what he find's.

reelfishin

Captain

Have you checked the gearcase for burned oil, or metal shaving's. A binding gearcase would make the engine pull hard.

One of the first things I did was to pull the plugs and give it a spin, it spins free and continues to spin, but it's hard to get it going at first. After I increased the rope length and greased up the recoil its 80% better but still not as easy as my side recoil motors. I have another 18HP of the same year that I have to pick up, I want to compare the two of them.
I'll get some pics of the 25 with the side pull starter this weekend if I remember to take my camera with me. (My garage is not near where I live).

To try and get the idea of how this motor feels, take a rope and wrap it around a socket on the flywheel nut, it will spin but it takes a lot of effort to get it started. If it were the gear case, it would not spin free with the plugs out. I think it's a matter of leverage, the motor doesn't turn hard when you grab the flywheel by hand, only with the rope. If I remove the recoil unit and use the notches in the flywheel to pull the motor over it don't feel bad at all. The first thing I plan to do is swap the recoil over from the second 18hp motor.
To better explain this, with the plugs out, a free spin of the flywheel shows nearly no resistance as normal, it will spin over multiple revolutions when spun with a loose rope around the flywheel.
With the recoil on, I can pull nearly full strength on the rope and hold back the motor simply buy pressing a finger on the flywheel. The recoil does not generate enough leverage to get the flywheel spinning from the start. After I added the longer rope, it's harder to hold back the flywheel but I still can. The recoil pulley is about two thirds the size of the flywheel, so there's a definite leverage advantage when using a plain rope on the flywheel. The original rope that it came with measured only 37 1/2" and only filled the very first few wraps of the rope pulley. I do see where adding more rope increases the effective diameter of the pulley. With less rope, it's like having a 4" pulley where you get the full use of the pulleys diameter with a full spool of rope on the pulley, just as the total ratio of a conventional fishing reel increases as you retrieve more line.

One thing that also contributes to the hard pulling is also the seating position in the boat, the rear bench seat is all the way at the rear putting you too close to the motor to get a good arms length pull. The motor sits at about shoulder height and the tiller is almost under my arm, there's only about 12" from the transom to the rear bench and then all open floor till the middle seat. In order to pull start the motor on the water, I have to kneel in the middle of the boat and pull the recoil. I have been usng a rubber tie down to hold the motor still when pulling it. I hung an older 40HP on that boat today, that starts super easy and moves that boat much better anyhow.

Looking at the recoil set up on this, I would have thought that they would have used a larger rope pulley, one closer in diameter to that of the flywheel. Those with the side mounted recoils have the advantage of the gear reduction effect of the ring gear and do not vary in leverage with the amount of rope. The rope on this 25 HP winds around what appears like a worm gear, therefore not changing the leverage from start to finish during the pull.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Adjust the manual starter so that the underside of it looks like the following.

71_18hpM-Starter.jpg

Now, if that doesn't solve the problem, I'd assume someone shaved the head resulting in abnormal compression. In which case, sell that engine to a circus strong man that likes to fish as there is no cure.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I am wondering if someone has swapped a lighter flywheel onto this motor. The 10hp flywheel from the early 1960s has a smaller diameter and will fit the 18hp taper. BUT, if the 10hp flywheel was used, then the 10hp recoil must also be used, as the rope sheave is smaller in the 10hp. The overall diameter is the same, but the pawl is closer to the center, effectively reducing the mechanical advantage. Something to think about... I did this swap on a hot rod motor a number of years ago trying to reduce the stress on the upper main bearing. Some boat racers do the same swap on 25 Mod motors for the same reason...

- Scott

reelfishin

Captain

The flywheel on this 18HP is not the same as the one on the 25HP, the one on the 18 is sort of dome shaped while the one on the 25 is flat on top and looks a lot beefier. (Of course the 25HP's origin is in question due to the side mount starter on it.

I don't have an early 10 hp to compare to but will have another 18HP here soon, hopefully by mid week next week or sooner. That's supposed to be a ready to run motor that's been in use all along. Both will be 1968 18HP motors.
I guess I'll know once I get the other motor whats been changed here or what ever the deal is.

I guess it's not just me that thinks it's hard to pull, a buddy came by today after just buying a used boat, he borrowed the 18 so he could test out the new boat before heading home, he came back nearly right away saying that the motor didn't feel right and he couldn't pull it to start it.
I went back to the river with him and started and ran it. He's a lot older than me, but has no trouble pull starting a Big Twin 40 that he plans to tranfer to this boat once he gets it home.

dtskidoo

Cadet

as someone said earlier the rope needs to be the right length for leverage further out from center of crankshaft. also has to be right dia. or it can wedge in beside itself making it really hard to pull.

Willyclay

Captain

Any progress on this motor? FYI, Joe Reeves has been very helpful to me.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

As a final resort, the following is what should be on that engine.
68_18HP_M-Start_Flywheel_Grp-a.jpg

reelfishin

Captain

Update:
I got the new OEM recoil rope, it measures just over 76" out of the package.
I tried winding the whole length on the recoil pulley but it won't fit, I can only get about 60" on the pulley.
It's the same diameter rope and handle fits the cup as it should.
I also got the second 18 hp here, I took both out for a comparison the other day, the second one pulls easier, but still harder than my other motors, it also don't have near the power that the original 1968 18HP has. I didn't check the compression on the second motor cold, but checked both after running the two for about 1/2 hour each. What I found sort of surprised me, the second motor, which is a 1969, read 140 and 142 lbs and the original motor which was still red hot read 185 and 187 psi when I checked it hot, when it cooled down it reads in the 150 range. Performance wise this thing runs circles around the second 18hp, appearance wise they both look identical, the recoils look the same. I didn't remember my camera when I was out there the other day but will try to remember it when I go back tomorrow. As far as I can see neither of these look like they've been apart as far as the power head, at least not for many years. The second 18hp actually feels pretty lame now on the same boat, the original one really rips compared to the second one. The second 18HP which I just got doesn't feel much stronger if any then my 15HP. The 18 is on par with my 30HP but a lot of that has to do with the lower weight of the 18hp. The 30hp is more than double the weight.