1968 6 horse sludge?

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1968 6 horsepower Jhonson and it seems to be leaking some pretty strange stuff, it looks kinda like grey watery grease and it smells like gas. It comes out of an opening that I think is the exhuast, its right above the propellor and is attached under the anti cav. plate. Any ideas of what this could be and how to solve the problem are greatly appreciated.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 1968 6 horse sludge?

A little fuel/oil there is common, especially if you're running more than a 50:1 mix and idling a lot. <br />But excessive amounts could indicate you're engine is running rich. If that's the case it's probably running pretty smokey too. This could be from improper adjustment of the idle mix control on the carb, a torn fuel pump diaphram, a leaking needle & seat in the carb, a leaking main jet gasket in the carb, or an improperly set or sunk float in the carb. <br />What seems likely to you? The simpler tests are to pump the primer bulb and observe if fuel is leaking from the mouth of the carb (shows needle & seat are operating). You can detach the fuel pump from the engine and do the same test to see if fuel leaks from the hole in it's back, indicating a torn fuel pump diaphram. <br />Another possibility is that a cylinder is misfiring due to poor ignition. Naturally, that's accompanied by a dramatic loss of power.<br />Pulling the spark plugs and observing the colour and deposits on their firing ends will tell a lot about how the engine is running.<br /><br />There you have it, from nothing at all to serious problems.

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class

check your lower unit oil if its ok then most likely its just unburnt fuel,

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have done a decarb before and it made the engine smoke alot and seemed to have little other effect. Maybe I should try it again. I recently had the carb. rebuilt so it should not have any problems. The only thing that worries me is that there does not appear to be any adjustment screws for idle speed and high speed jets on the carb.