1967 Mercury 1100SS The fun begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: 1967 Mercury 1100SS The fun begins!

Ed, a picture of the other side showing the detail of how the wires go into the distributor. The ones with two coils had a side entry into the cap for the second coil wire. Looks like you just have one coil wire, that does not mean one coil is missing it could have been converted. Your points are located under the distributor cap, inside the enclosed section. If you are missing 3 cyl then likely one set of points is either dirty or collapsed. Not a problem. If you need points I have a set here I will gladly send you.

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't tested the electric stuff yet, I just finished a roll around stand for it for working on it over the winter as I finish the 'ol Glastron. West System will love me after it's over. It's a good thing, The Gougeon Brothers place is only a few blocks from my house. Gotta support the local folks!

I'll get the manual when it arrives in a few days in the mail and make some tests with the DVM. I restore old tube radios for fun and the wiring diagrams and schematics seem refreshingly simple in comparison. I suppose it's deceptive, combining electrical with fuel delivery and mechanical aspects to make up the whole of a good running motor.

I wold be interested in converting it possibly at some point if all else goes well. What parts are needed for a conversion? If there is a kit it would be ever so cool. Does CDI Electronics make anything useful in this case?

There ARE three bolts missing on the top of the distributor, or at least it looks that way. I don't see marks on the housing showing wear where the possibly missing bolts were. Hmmmm...the only one has a braided ground strap under it going to the block. It looks like it's tightly together. Curious.

I drained some fluid from the LU it was pink with only the slightest hint of cloudiness. Kinda like cherry pie filling without the cherries (it was cold today....was a little thick)

Thanks again!

daveswaves

Ensign

Sounds like somebody put transmission fluid in the lower end. I would drain it completely, flush it out and replace with mercury high performance lower unit oil. It will be nice and clean in there as the tranny fluid acts as a solvent. Not the best for actually using in an outboard lower end. As far as the distributor bolts go sounds like they started to take it apart to troubleshoot the no fire problem and never got back to it.

OldMercsRule

Captain

I doubt you will find an inexpensive "kit" as it was only the 1966 engines that had the first generation CDI. Maybe Laddies knows where to get said kit, (I bet it would be a bit spendy).

I would hunt fer a dead 1967 1100 parts engine with a good CDI n' distributor n' (maybe a spare LU). I know any 1967 to 1978 or 79 inline6 has the CDI ya need: (all the same unit, [kinda like a sbc]), and they are nearly bullet proof; so if ya find one on a parts engine it would likely be a good one.

Either Ed in Paulsbo or Laddies will know if ya can use a distributor from another inline6 engine, (like a 1967 or later 950 or a 1968 or 1969 1000) that may have similar block dimensions, (the 99.x cubic inch block was a wee bit taller then the 89.x cubic inch 1000 and 950 was). I dunno if the 94.x cubic inch 1100 was the same as the 1000 butt: I bet it was.

In 1973 Merc went from the silver block, (like yers), to a black block that had a single fuel pump n' no individual screens on the carbs. Not sure if the distributor from me 1972 1150 would fit yers, the big guns may know.

I got me 1967 950 that looks like yers does fer a net $50 last year, (bought boat engine n' trailer fer $400). Gave the boat away n' sold the trailer fer $350. It only needed a trigger.

I jus' bought a sweet 1972 1150 silver block, (that also looks like yers), fer $200.00 that is stuck in forward, butt runs real good. If Ed from Paulsbo had beat me there he would have this one ta add to his collection. ;):D

I used to have ta pay $100 to $150 fer parts engines, butt as ya see the negative two stroke kool aid and the bad economy is makin' 'em even cheaper, (at least in very Liberal Seattle Metro).

Fer that reason I'd start lookin fer a parts engine with the distributor n' CDI box ya need if ya have to change it, (I WOULD NOT CHANGE IT MESSELF).

I must admit: I didn't know ya had to take the distributor out jus' ta set the points (as Ed told ya), as I have always avoided the 1966 and earlier engines due to me experience with my parent's 1966 500 with the same ignition you have.

I sure like iboats fer all the great information I get ta learn from the big guns like Ed n' Bob!!! Yip Yip Yahooooooooooo!!!!

Me overpriced $.02 JR

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

Alrighty then,

I didn't do TOO bad on the deal, 400 bucks for the whole boat, motor and trailer. A few missing parts from a so-so boat. Got a nice horn and the nice steering system even fits my Glastron. Trailer is serviceable, will probably give the boat away to ..well...anybody, and sell the trailer. Sound familiar?

Tested the distributor brown and white points leads. Both cycle nicely from no continuity to zero ohms...full continuity...about three times per rotation of the flywheel. Sounds about right. No problem there. Removed plugs andput a couple teaspoons of marvel mystery in each hole and tipped it up on the stand. turns very smoothly, but what the heck, lets oil up those cylinders a bit before proceeding.

Well, the distributor is functioning anyway. Will pull off and clean cap next, as well as changing the LU lube. It isn't tranny fluid, it has the same viscosity as the quicksilver stuff. Maybe it's the Wally World brand or something, I don't know.

So far, so good. Waiting on manual.

emckelvy

Commander

Bet she'll spark! Aside from the impeller, almost bet you could put fuel to the gal and she'd kick off!

On the elex ign upgrade, a number of late-60's Fours and Sixes had a type of ign which would bolt up in place of your lower half. It had the old-style-similar housing, but with a trigger assy inside. Later 1100's used this, so did the 1250's. And I'm thinking the 650-SS did as well. Of course with a 4-cyl dist you'd have to change the chopper disk, but the rest would work.

This would be the ideal setup, as you wouldn't even have to pull the upper part of the dist drive. Just unbolt the bottom, install the new part, change the switchbox out to the {easily obtainable and relatively cheap} later-style CDI switchbox and away you go. I'm thinkin' that your existing coil would work fine with the new components, it looks like it's wired same as the later-style units.

The other way to go is to completely swap distributor for later-style. The '68-'69 Merc 1000-SS dist would fit perfectly. Upgrade switchbox and there you are.

You could also use any dist from a 99-C.I. Six but you'll have to trim the rotor shaft to fit, as they are a tad too long for use in a 90+Cube application.

A 4-cyl 75, 80, or 85hp 66-c.i. dist would work as well (with the aforementioned rotor trimming) but you'd have to change the chopper to a 6-cyl disc.

Your 93.5 c.i. block, BTW, has a 2.937" bore vs. 2.875" for the 90 c.i. 100hp. That's the only diff that I can recall on the blocks. Physically they're interchangeable, so anything that'll bolt onto a 100hp will also fit an 1100 block.

Anyway, I don't think you could complain a bit about that deal! Great price for just the motor alone. I shudder to think what a tuned-up, running-well "Survivor" like your 1100 would fetch on eBay.

But I'm sure you'll be much happier when she's purring away on the back of your Sportsman!!

Cheers...........ed

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

Checked out the distributor cap....it looks brand new inside. Not a spot of corrosion or even a trace of carbon dust. Looks like out of the box. Yay! No points under the cap, must be above that point. Where IS that manual? It's being shipped is where it is. Man, do ya have to go through the distributor shaft to get to them? Hoo boy, it's no 1968 Delco Remy Chevy Camaro distributor, that's for sure.

I peeled back the black wrapping on the wires coming from the internal plug...I HAD to know, can always retape them to look original. Not bad...they are actually soft and supple. The only brittle one is the last 3-4 inches of the gray choke solenoid wire. I'll just solder in an appropriate piece of wire...color and all. Maybe this bodes well for the hidden stator wires under the green sheathing.

Oh yeah, the mercury switch wires are hard...I'll replace those and test the switch to be sure.

I'm going to take apart the controls to see what shape the wires are in there. I've got to know.

Drained the LU. Yup, it's red, and feels like regular Quicksilver lube. Hmmm...had a HINT of milkyness to it. looked like cherry pie filling without the cherries.

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

I've figured out the schematic pretty much and am familiar with the diagrams of all the parts. Not a problem.

However, I do NOT see this part on any of them. It sure looks like a condenser or capacitor. It's right there by the rectifier and attached right under the mercury switch. It doesn't show up on the wiring diagrams for the motor. Any ideas?

DSC_0140.jpg

emckelvy

Commander

Doesn't look like standard Mercury fare. Nor does the mounting hardware, E.C.K. would roll over in his grave if he saw a square nut with coarse-threaded fastener! What are the wires connected to, maybe it's an aftermarket-installed (or dlr add-on) noise suppressor filter.

I broke out my old Merc micro-fish cards & it seems your motor is an "1100E-SS". This is the model between the "1100" which had std points ign, and the "1100-SS-1" which had the breakerless CDI.

If the ign works after servicing, I'd leave alone for the time being and perhaps plan on an upgrade in the future.

If the switchbox is bad, there's pretty much no replacements out there unless you find a parts donor with a good box. In that case, you could consider upgrading to the breakerless dist & corresponding switchbox.

Here's the part # for the Mercury "switch box kit": 332-2986A5 which included the following:

332-2986A4 Switch Box;
393-2799A9 Distributor Assy;
332-2910A2 Rectifier Assy (note that you could use the later-style rectifier as well, or upgrade further with a rectifier/regulator assy).

Quite a unique motor................ed

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

After scoping it out more carefully, it's inserted directly in series between the red wire rectifier output and the red terminal of the switchbox. A retrofit of a big capacitor, probably a filter as you said, as the donor boat had speakers and thus a radio at some point...fairly recent speakers.

Knowing what I know about electrolytic capacitors and that's probably what this is, they have a habit of going bad when they get old. MOST filter capacitors in the old radios I do from that era have gone bad..that's why old tube radios hum when something's amiss. It's 99% of the time not a tube, it's aging capacitors in the power supply. Maybe it's ok, maybe it's not. I just think that if this is in line with the output of the rectifier and the switch box and it starts to go south, the switch box is NOT going to like it. I could be wrong, I suppose, but I have a notion to just get it out of there and connect things up back the way they were supposed to be. The red wire is still there, it just attaches to one terminal of the capacitor, the other terminal then attaches to the rectifier output screw.

If it's not supposed to be there, and I'm not going to have it. Seems like you could filter the radio somewhere else and NOT between the rectifier and the most likely sensitive switchbox. Call me crazy, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

I could be wrong, but it lists this switch box at cdi as being correct for my setup:

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=CDI114-2803

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

This forum is a great spot if you want to get the scoop from people who've been there done tha. Thanks for all the great info!

Barnyard1

Cadet
Hi guys......I have 1100ss.....#2158720....its says 1967....but the cowl has 1250?....heres a pic...maybe changed cover? Thx

Attachments

• merc110.JPG
    merc110.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
  • merc.JPG
    merc.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.