1967 Johnson 6HP- carburetor flooding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JANDREWB

Cadet
I have recently given this outboard update on all ignition parts. I had a problem with a rough idle and rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump which seemed to have worked for a brief while, but after sitting for a couple of months, I took it out and the problem has returned, perhaps worse. The engine idles rougher and rougher and eventually will not restart without sitting overnight. There is fuel buildup around the carb gasket with a some drips fallen down, wetting the motor housing.
I noted that I could get it to turn over for few moments with one pull after an hour or so, with the fuel line disconnected and choke off. Interesting...
I believe the problem is in the carburetor- note that the rebuild kit did come with a new float etc.. apparently something is clogging up somewhere- any ideas?
Could try to buy a new carb but seems they cannot be found for a motor so old.

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1967 Johnson 6HP- carburetor flooding?

MAke sure the float is set correctly. When upside down the float bottom should be parallel with the carb bottom. If it is set incorrectly, it can cause the flooding. Also check the float needle and seat.Rick

JANDREWB

Cadet

I did check the float and it has always been parallel at it rests on the float needle. As far as checking the needle it is there and seems to seated properly. Any thing else I can check?

JANDREWB

Cadet

Eureka!! Actually sometimes we follow specs forgetting the underlying principles. Using the toilet tank bulb principle where one merely bends the float to the desired level of water. Similarly I bent the metal hinge assembly ever so slightly, a little off parallel such that it would put less full in the carb bowl. It now works like a charm. Hope this helps any future thread reader.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sure does. i use a clean piece of fuel line and blow thru it connected to the carb, right side up, air goes thru, unside down no passage, as the needle is secure.

JT's Customs

Cadet
Just went through this flooding issue. I found that just slight adjustment on the float may help but when i test ran it gas was still flooding the engine? I used a pair if pliers to pinch the fuel line so no fuel can pass from the pump to the carb. The motor started after a number of pulls and ran well till the float bowel ran dry. I then released the Vice grip pliers and restarted and ran till flooding started and pinched the line as to regulate the flow of fuel and could get it to run pinching and releasing the fuel line. I then backed out the slow speed needle a few turns and it started to run without flooding? This problem looks like it was just adjustment of the slow speed needle? I will hook everything up and test it a few times but I think the needle adjustment was the problem. A bit if fuel does dribble out the carb intake when I kill the engine but not while running? This may be normal? Just FYI

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
JT's your the carb should not ..drip/flood if a million motors did the same I agree but a million motors don't drip !

you should recheck the float adjustment and as to the LS needle it is way on top of the motor yet the problem is below the top half . make certain the carb gasket does not snag the float and that the flot is not upside down

JT's Customs

Cadet
Good advice. I did not think of the gasket?

Good advice. I did not think of the gasket?
Well it was wishful thinking the thing was fixed! I let it sit for a few hours and started it up. It flooded out again. I pinch the fuel hose and it starts and runs till the float empties and dies. I am convinced it is the float valve not closing. Can't be anything else at this point. If I fill the float bowl and blow into the fuel line it just keep pushing gas into the carb and you can see it bubbling up into the carb throat and runs out and onto the motor compartment? AGGGGG I will try to trim the float bowl gasket inside to be sure it isn't interfering with the float movement. Any ideas would be so wonderful at this point. Can the fuel pump pump TOO much??

Status
Not open for further replies.